Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 20 hives - what sort of gear do you use?

Acebird - have you seen a slime-out? It is a horrible experience. Luckily I had none so far this year.
    It is getting cooler here and the numbers are now down. I have learned to manage them fairly successfully. I simply change the traps about every 3 weeks. Extra work but it does seem to keep numbers pretty low - mostly!
    I'm trying out the Mann Lake " Beetle Blaster" traps ( on special this week) and I like them so far - nice an deep. I use no oil - only DE.

"You should have asked about honey houses too. I extract in the garage, store and bottle in the basement. But I'm looking at getting a 14 X 24 or so shed for a honey house. "

We built a purpose built one! It is 6m x 6m ( about 20 feet x 20 feet) and allowes a nice through flow of boxes in - extracting and empties out. I have a concrete, polished floor which makes the clean-up easy. I should post the full process...when I have a helper here who knows about videos and posting these things.

what does everbody use for uncapping tanks

what does everybody use for uncapping tanks/ tubs. have a twenty frame extractor, i will need to hold frames while extractor is running

Quote Originally Posted by Rick55 View Post
    have a twenty frame extractor, i will need to hold frames while extractor is running
    Buy another extractor and your problem is solved. But for 20 hives?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

what i was looking for was trying to fiqure out if the stainless steel uncapping tanks like the ones dadant and maxant sell are worth the extra money. will they save time and make things go smoother

Quote Originally Posted by Rick55 View Post
    what does everybody use for uncapping tanks/ tubs. have a twenty frame extractor, i will need to hold frames while extractor is running
    I use the 3 -tier one you can see here: http://www.qualitybeekeepingsupplies...pings-reducers