Default Am I in over my head? Brand new beekeeper question.

I started a new hive April 1st. Everything looked wonderful and as expected on my inspections. Last week, I noticed bearding around the entrance. Upon inspection, I noticed all 10 frames were drawn out and loaded with pollen, nectur, honey, eggs and larva. So I added a short upper on the hive 3 days ago. Upon inspection today, they have pulled foundation on 6 of the 10 frames. And they have comb attaching the upper frames to the lowers. As I removed the attaching comb, noticed clear syrup inside the comb. (very tasty). The upper foundations are only drawn out, nothing inside them yet. What is my next move? How do I remove the upper hive so I can inspect the lower? Should I have added a new brood hive instead of a short hive? What do I look for to determin my next move? Thanx in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Am I in over my head? Brand new beekeeper question.

It sounds like the bees are doing exactly what you want. I strong hive on a nectar flow is a wax building machine.

As for your boxes, the short upper box would be a shallow honey super(5 3/8"), or is it a medium super? (6 5/8" deep) I assume the bottom hive body is a deep brood box. (9 5/8") Your next move is to decide how to manage this hive. 2 deep brood boxes with shallow honey supers? One deep w/ supers? One deep will require you to keep the queen from moving up into the supers and laying brood. 2 deeps gives her more room to lay , which she needs, but she can still go into the supers. Do some more reading on the topic.

Right now you will need to build more frames and boxes, because they are about ready for another. When you take the top super off, use the lid or inner cover as a base, and set it gently crosswise on it as to not smash the bees on the bottom of the frames. It will become second nature after you do it a few times.

What Wallie said. Also, I wouldn't worry about removing the comb they build between the upper and lower frames.

Thanx for the info. I won't panic any more,,, yet. I will build more frames and slip a new box between the brood box and medium super.

As far as the bearding, they stay out at night in a tight group maybe 6" tall and the width of the hive. Is this normal? My temp during the day was between 81 and 91 for a week. Nights are 60ish. Thanx again

Bearding is common. Some hives do and some dont.

psisk