Thread: used equipment

Default used equipment

anyone have any thoughts on used equipment? i understand from the guy that he is moving and just wants it gone. any reason not to take it? needs a sanding and paint job but looks ok otherwise.

anything i should do to it in prep for using?

Default Re: used equipment

The only thing I do with used boxes is scorch the inside with a propane torch, paying extra attention to the corners and rabbits to destroy any hiding AFB spores, and I don't reuse frames.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

AFB unfortunately is endemic. It is everywhere in the air and ground. It is a crap shoot like the rest of life. Sounds like the price is right. If you put bees in it and end up with AFB, it is a simple matter. You have to burn it. I just bought out a guy who didn't want to quit but got old. I have inspected the brood being raised in those frames and am finding no disease. If I do, you burn it. Sinmple.

I got started on used equipment and so far no signs of disease. I guess you take your chances every time. These days I build all my own stuff from scratch.

thanks, thats kinda what i figured. i will give it a nice burn fsgo.

I would be very cautious about using any old equipment, especially from Central Ct. There have been a few operations in that area who either had a long history of AFB infections or covered up AFB problems with continuous use of Terramycin at double the recomended dosage. Unless you know the entire history of those hives, you are just begging for disaster. You will be better off starting with new hives.

I would assume the guy wouldn't lie to me about free hives... I'll have to inquire about all the gear

Have it your way, you have been warned.

Go for it, sound like a bargain, don't let others scare you off, like you said, what would he have to gain from lying to you?

You take risks every time you get used equipment. You take risks every time you drive to work. If you are the guy who had a wreck this morning and ended up in the hospital, you probably don't think it was worth the risk but if you are the guy who got to work and made another day's wages you probably think it was...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

michael are you saying that its not worth the risk of used equipment, because people get into crashes everyday. they get new cars and go right back to driving.

im not sure i understand your perspective, pls advise what you would do.

Perhaps you should talk to some one who has experienced AFB. I got some 15 years ago by purchsing nucs from a beekeeper whos' entire 600 hive operation was comprised of used equipment he got for nothing. He fed Terra patties at double the normal dosage, year round. When I bought the nucs, I stopped the terra patties and guess what ? AFB in Spades. It took years to clean it up. I burned and burned. Another Beekeeper who followed this beekeepers practices, never got it all out of his bees until he retired and burned everything. I know what I am talking about, and once again, am warning you. Run from used hives as if your life depends upon it.

Captain, I believe Michael is talking about perspective (correct me if I am wrong) for instance Adam was in a wreck and went to the hospital (got AFB from used equipment), I have always made it to work (after scorching have never got it). Thus Adam is saying don't do it and my post said with a little fire it should be OK. Perspective.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

So is it only wooden ware to avoid or all equipment as there are tools etc as well

Quote Originally Posted by adam@azapiaries View Post
    I would be very cautious about using any old equipment, especially from Central Ct. There have been a few operations in that area who either had a long history of AFB infections or covered up AFB problems with continuous use of Terramycin at double the recomended dosage. Unless you know the entire history of those hives, you are just begging for disaster. You will be better off starting with new hives.
    Isn't there a State Apiary Inspector? CT is small enuf that all that is needed is one, or maybe two. Check w/ the Inspector to see if there has been a history of disease or no disease.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I started with used stuff before I got here and knew enough about AFB to even scorch it. I figure that it the deal is greater than the risk. If I have problems then I'll burn it, but until then I am good to go. Like said before, if you are an optimist then go for it. Let says that it's a 1 in 20 chance that you get it. Heck 1 in 4. You still have a 75% chance that you get great equipment that is cheap or free. If they are active hives then try smelling them and see if you can smell anything except honey. You can also have a guildie or the state come out and check it.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

>im not sure i understand your perspective, pls advise what you would do.

I'm just saying if you take the risk and get AFB you will not think it's worth it. If you take the risk and you don't get AFB you will think it's worth it. There is always risk.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF