Thread: used equipment

Hybrid View

Default used equipment

anyone have any thoughts on used equipment? i understand from the guy that he is moving and just wants it gone. any reason not to take it? needs a sanding and paint job but looks ok otherwise.

anything i should do to it in prep for using?

Default Re: used equipment

The only thing I do with used boxes is scorch the inside with a propane torch, paying extra attention to the corners and rabbits to destroy any hiding AFB spores, and I don't reuse frames.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

AFB unfortunately is endemic. It is everywhere in the air and ground. It is a crap shoot like the rest of life. Sounds like the price is right. If you put bees in it and end up with AFB, it is a simple matter. You have to burn it. I just bought out a guy who didn't want to quit but got old. I have inspected the brood being raised in those frames and am finding no disease. If I do, you burn it. Sinmple.

I got started on used equipment and so far no signs of disease. I guess you take your chances every time. These days I build all my own stuff from scratch.

thanks, thats kinda what i figured. i will give it a nice burn fsgo.

I would be very cautious about using any old equipment, especially from Central Ct. There have been a few operations in that area who either had a long history of AFB infections or covered up AFB problems with continuous use of Terramycin at double the recomended dosage. Unless you know the entire history of those hives, you are just begging for disaster. You will be better off starting with new hives.