Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation planting buckwheat

Hello,
    i am wondering if it would be any benifit for my bees and me to plant an acre of buckwheat? i can get a 25 kg bag of seed for 53.00 +tax at my local feed store

Thanks

Ben

Default Re: planting buckwheat

Yes and if you can plant more it would be better. The good thing about buckwheat is that when it goes to seed you can harrow it in again and grow another crop. We can get three and sometimes four rounds out of the same bag of seeds.

psisk

Quote Originally Posted by psisk View Post
    Yes and if you can plant more it would be better. The good thing about buckwheat is that when it goes to seed you can harrow it in again and grow another crop. We can get three and sometimes four rounds out of the same bag of seeds.

psisk
    so you mean after it flowers and gets the seed pod i can plowit under and it will regrow again?

THis may be so, just remember the difference in growing seasons. Consult locally on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by psisk View Post
    We can get three and sometimes four rounds out of the same bag of seeds.

psisk
    Good to know! I just planted a small patch, for ground cover as much as anything, but every bloom helps sometimes,

We keep a bit less than an acre in Buckwheat. Easy to plant - broadcast over prepared ground after last frost. Blooms in 3-5 weeks and if you leave it alone - will reseed and continue to bloom until first frost. Bees will work it early morning (say up to 10 AM). I find it a steady nectar source that keeps the bees happy between clover and goldenrod (here in PA). Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Will buckwheat survive our West Texas summers, 60 to 75 days of 100 degree F, with little or no rain?

What is your planting density in weight/acre?
    I found that commercial use 50-60lb/acre, but what do you guys use for a cover crop/bee feed?
    I used the 60lb/acre number and planted this week. We will see how it goes.
    Last edited by RiodeLobo; 05-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

For buckwheat to produce nectar it requires warm days with cool nights and some rain.

Quote Originally Posted by nortpete View Post
    For buckwheat to produce nectar it requires warm days with cool nights and some rain.
    My last freeze day is in March. We have cool nights and warm days from mid March until the end of may, so I could get in a spring crop.

I suppose you could. I have been told for my location to plant it and have it bloom when nothing else is blooming ( between clover & goldenrod) because the bees will work the other flowers instead. This is because the buckwheat only produces in the morning hours.

Black oil sunflower is also a good cheap to grow source of nectar. We buy 50 # bags of bird seed for 28.00 and plant it with a corn planter... Grows great and looks nice too.

I also plant Buckwheat and bushhog it when it goes to seed... We get 2-3 crops per season in Vermont. I don't really like buckwheat honey though.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    We get 2-3 crops per season in Vermont. I don't really like buckwheat honey though.
    I have planted and had good luck getting multiple crops and the girls really go wild in the mornings. I've never got the timing/nectar/critical mass right to harvest anything so far. For those who do like it, any suggested vendors?

CC

i was a little more interested in planting the buckwheat to insure the bees have lots of honey for their winter stores and that way it would easier for me to do a harvest if i had a nectar flow for the later on in the season : )
    rather than giving the bees Sugar Syrup.

what does everyone think , is that a better alternative than sugar water ?

Ben

Ben,
    I think it is a better alternative. Honey being the best food for the bees plus not having the cost and labor involved in feeding.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    what does everyone think , is that a better alternative than sugar water ?
    How severe are your winters? I have been told that if you have few fly days in your winter that the solids in honey will give them dysentry, and for that reason if you have severe winters that you should feed sugar syrup which doesn't have indigestible solids like honey.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

Quote Originally Posted by sammyjay View Post
    How severe are your winters? I have been told that if you have few fly days in your winter that the solids in honey will give them dysentry, and for that reason if you have severe winters that you should feed sugar syrup which doesn't have indigestible solids like honey.

Nathan
    our winters aren't very severe, mostly mild winters.

Ben

Buckwheat will make with little rain and plenty of heat cause we have both here. I am planting it this year to fill in the dearth between cabbage palm and golden rod. It will make a really dark honey and I dont care much for the taste but I dont plan to harvest any of it anyway.

psisk

Second year after buckwheat, the grass will be gone...time to plant another bee forage crop. An old friend used to plant a rape/white sweet clover mix. He'd get buckwheat the first year, canola the second year, and sweet clover for several years after that. When ther sweet clover started to die out, the land went back into buckwheat to start the cycle over again.

My buckwheat just started to bloom. Planted in mid may, and only about an acre. I am using as Mr. Palmer described as a grass killer. It isn't easy turning pasture into garden without herbicides. I hope this works, I am planning on at least one more cycle this year, perhaps two.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.