Default what colors do bee see

Hi to and my chat buddies

some of you know this but there are us that are new to beekeeping and i myself is one of them i will like to share a link on what colors bees see best ,one color we should not paint our hives is red bee cant see red as we cant see ultra violet so i think painting a beehive red is a big no no here the link and enjoy http://www.westmtnapiary.com/Bees_and_color.html

Default Re: what colors do bee see

I am red green color blind but can still see objects that are red and green. They just appear different to me than they would to you. Also, some reds look green at one time of day and at other times they look green.

IMO if you painted all your hives red they would just be a larger likelyhood of drifting - the same way as if everything is painted white.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

In The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism, Tautz says that bees have the highest color sensitivity at the more energetic end of the spectrum--basically blues and ultraviolets. He also says that color sensitivity varies by what the bee is doing--a bee heading out to forage has very high color sensitivity (they are looking for flowers) but a bee in return flight can pretty much only see blues and black/white contrast patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeeMan View Post
    I am red green color blind but can still see objects that are red and green. They just appear different to me than they would to you. Also, some reds look green at one time of day and at other times they look green.

IMO if you painted all your hives red they would just be a larger likelyhood of drifting - the same way as if everything is painted white.
    let me ask you something since you are color blind cant you just use sometime of filter lens to fix that like in photography? i always wonder about that

#1 According to my understanding, bees CAN "see red", but it registers to them about like black (i.e. absence of visible light) as their eyes are "tuned" higher in the spectrum, so you can paint patterns on the hives in red if you want, just realize that red on black to us, may be black on black to them, so use another "other" color than black if you want the bees to "see" the pattern.
    This phenomenon is also what we who use red filters on our lights when working bees (especially removals) at night are taking advantage of; the bees, not being able to register red light, are still night-blinded & can't fly well, while we can still see just fine to work them.

#2 I am not colorblind myself, but I spoke with many colorblind individuals during my time as a medic in the army Rafael. The concensus from them seemed to be that the Red/Green, or whatever colors they were "blind" to, simply didn't differentiate to them. I.E. they could see that it was Red or Green, but really had no way to differentiate between the two...One of them always joked that Christmas decor was quite bland to someone who's red/green colorblind lol
    So I don't see where a "filter lens" would help a colorblind person all that much, it'd probably just move everything into the range of colors that they confuse, so rather than differentiating between red & green better, now EVERYTHING might become "muddled" ... I don't know there, just a guess/opinion.

Technically you can't see black as it has no light. But you can "see" something that IS black because it contrasts with the background. Painting something red will not make it invisible to the bees. It just looks the same as black to them. Believe me, if you wear red to the beeyard you will not be invisible. You will just look like black and they love to attack that...

Basically if you slide what we can see toward ultra violet they have about the same range but shifted to where they can't see red (we can't see infrared) and they can see ultra violet (we can see violet but not ultra violet).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

to say they do not see red then they would fly in to any thing that is red they see it but not like other colors ,, I'm color blind ''a human that's color blind sees color , different then you that are not ,, like a person that's color blind sees natural color and man made color different ( it sticks out like white in a patch of black ) then you that is not color blind ,, if your in a plane and look down at trees and there's a camo tarp in the trees ,,it will stick out to color blind but not to the one that is not color blind ,,,,BUT we do see color ,, just not like you ,, it would be about the same with the bee s ,, they see color in there own way ,, How do they know what a bee see's and does not see ,, who learned the language that a bee speaks and asked a bee ,, and if no one has learned the language that a bee speaks and asked a bee ,, how would they know for sure what they see or do not see

Anyone interested in learning about the bees vision may want to read Karl Von Frisch's book:

Bees: Their Vision, Chemical Senses, and Language

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qw...*listing*title
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I like to take a wet cloth to the hives to wipe my hands on if I get honey on them. One day I just picked up a red cloth that was handy in the garage and wet it from the outside faucet. When I got to the hives I laid it on top of the hive next to the hive I was working on. After a few minutes I noticed the bees were all over it and stinging it. I had to take it back to the truck but it already had at least 20 stingers in it. That makes me think they don't like the color red!