Default Honeyflow question

This is my first year wth bees, and have been very fortunate. I bought a complete hive from an chemical free beekeeper, and it is doing excellent. Already have 2 medium supers fully capped and a 3rd fully drawn out with honey in it. My questions is how long does the honey flow last? I am in Western KY. How often do I need to check my boxes? Do not want to disturb them too much, but dont want them to run out of room either. Thanks for any info.

Default Re: Honeyflow question

Im new to beekeeping too, based on what I've read and reading this forum; the 'general rule' I'm following for checking boxes is:
    a new beekeeper check at least once a week. But as much as you feel necessary to learn.
    a more experienced beekeeper check at least once every 2 weeks.

Cant really help with the flow.

Good luck

+1 on the once a week checking. I'm a new beek this year and have one hive in my backyard. I live in a neighborhood so I check the girls on a weekday so they don't bother the neighbors if I do something wrong and they get a little agitated.

I check mine once a week during the honey flow. Now this doesn't mean I go though every frame. I open the top look down between the frames to see if the frames are drawn out. If most are I add another box. If I had put drawn comb on the time before you will have to pull a few frames to see how much nectar has been stored, if there is a lot I will add another box. You don't have to disturb them much doing it this way.

I generally peek in there once a week during the flow. Your flow should be beginning to slow down. We had a very early start this year. Hopefully the clover will stay available for awile longer but I'm thinking the main flow is on the downhill slope.

Thanks, I did notice bees on the Dutch clover in the yard. Wasn't sure what if anything was blooming after that.