Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

top feeder

4K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  sfisher 
#1 ·
which top feeder do you prefer the wood one with pontoon floats from dadant or the plastic one with screen? The wood one allows the bees to go everwhere vs the screened that keeps them in one area.

#8 ·
@ Dale 3rd = Yes, I use a 2" ring (I call it a feeding shim) and the gallon freezer bag. works great. I recommend only filling the bag 2/3 to 3/4 full. I've had some leaking issues if I over fill the bag and then make the slit a little too long. Tension on the bag pulls the slit apart I guess. As long as there is a nice air bubble it will settle right on the liquid and not leak.

#9 · (Edited)
I like this 10 Frame Plastic Hive Top Feeder. It works great, doesn't drown bees, and can hold a couple of gallons so you don't have to fill it so often.

NOTE: This feeder is NOT good when the weather is cold and the bees are clustering in the center of the hive. They will not break cluster to go out to the feeder entrances at the front and back of the hive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.