Default adding second brood boxes during flows....

so, i received 5 starter hives in early march. Our flow started late apr and my hives were moving into a second deep brood box (w/ foundation frames)at the same time (more or less). Subsequently, most off the added brood boxes are almost all honey bound now. What did i do wrong? Being that the flow was starting, should i have given them a super at the same time as the second brood box?

Default Re: adding second brood boxes during flows....

Can you add another one now? When that happens to me, I just put the new box on the bottom of the stack or at least under the box with all the honey in it.

uhm, yea, i suppose i could.... i typically use medium supers due to the weight, but that sounds like a pretty good idea, thanks.... lol, i hate getting locked into a specific train of thought....

I run all deeps, not really sure what I would do if I used mediums for supers.

i can definitely see the advantages of using all same sized boxes.... but for me, i like seeing large brood frames, but am not interested throwing my back out lifting deep honey filled supers!!!! lol

My wife's father takes the deep frames out one at a time and puts them in an empty box until it's light enough for him to pick up. He's retired, so plenty of time on his hands. Just another thought for ya.

You can add a medium supper. Leave the second deep where it is at. Once the flow stops you can take the medium super off and harvest it for yourself. The second deep that is full of honey is the bees honey. They will use this to keep them going until the fall flow.

thanks for the advice- it helps in moving forward from here... although, i'm not sure if it answers the original question! lol.... i may very well add another deep under the honey filled deep and just 'cowboy up'... certainly don't need to be complaining about this situation! happy beeking to all!

Quote Originally Posted by jadell View Post
    I run all deeps, not really sure what I would do if I used mediums for supers.
    Any recommendations for a woman working with hives? Am I being dumb to use all deeps, and not the medium ones? I am used to carrying 50lb chicken feed bags. Is it about the same? -Lori

PS. Yeah...you don't find too many like me here in San Diego! I've got a mini-farm, and I love it! I have always said I was born in the wrong state!

as i understand it, a 10 frame deep full of honey will weigh 75-90 lbs...

If you are starting out and the higher price for a volume of bee housing is not a show stopper, all mediums would be a fine thing to do. They will weigh closer to what that sack of chicken feed weighs. The deep can seem to weigh closer to what you weigh. I was headed toward just mediums myself when I got a deal on used equipment and Western Bee was backlogged. They are about caught up if anyone is interested. Good folks to deal with and good equipment.

I'm converting to all mediums and for the brood chamber just two mediums with deep frames giving them plenty of room below. Why put a back out?

Okay...when I looked on Mann Lake, they only have deep hives and then honey supers. There are not 3 sizes. Is the medium called a honey deep? Do I get multiples of those, and only one deep hive?

I think a honey 'super' is usually a medium but just designated a 'super' because it is for honey, not brood. (of course the bees don't follow our rules) !

There is generally three sizes, deep, medium, and shallow. You can use them for whatever you want brood or honey. The bees dont care. I sorta wish I had went all mediums but where I live every one uses deeps for hive bodys.

psisk

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Subsequently, most off the added brood boxes are almost all honey bound now. What did i do wrong? Being that the flow was starting, should i have given them a super at the same time as the second brood box?
    You didn't do anything wrong really...
    Yes, I'd have added a super at the same time...

If it was me, with your arrangement, I'd switch positions of the two boxes, putting the 'full with honey box' on the bottom, the brood box above it, and a super on top of that. This creates a situation of 'honey in the broodnest' for the bees, and they will start moving that honey up and drawing wax in the super above the brood box to store it in, as they like honey stored above the brood.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

>Any recommendations for a woman working with hives? Am I being dumb to use all deeps, and not the medium ones? I am used to carrying 50lb chicken feed bags. Is it about the same? -Lori

I recommend all 8-frame mediums. Full of honey they weigh 48 pounds or so. A ten frame deep full of honey weighs twice that.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I agree with Micheal. Not only is a deep more than I want to lift, when it's on a hive and needs to come off, you have to lift it at arms length, with all the "wrong" body mechanics.

We use shallow supers and deeps for brood boxes, although I'm going to try a pair of mediums and a deep so I can checkerboard in late Feb. I don't intend to lift deeps full of honey! All of ours are 10 frame, but for ladies I don't hesitate to recommend 8 frame -- there is no need to make a hobby serious work unless you want a strenuous workout and don't care if you throw your back out moving the wrong way with a very heavy box!

Peter

Thank you for your input. I have already started out with a 10 frame deep hive. However, I have yet to get more honey supers (medium?), so I will have to invest in more 10 frame ones as I only have one right now for each hive. I wish someone at Mann Lake had helped me out regarding this issue as I was asking so many questions so I would not make a mistake.

Hopefully the 10 frame mediums are not too heavy when full of honey.

-Lori

Lori,

One other thing I learned is to put a following board on either end for airflow (moisture and heat) and just put 8 frames in the 10 frame medium. Then it is easy to take out the following board and give yourself room for inspection. Also it is up to us how many frames to put in..you don't 'have' to fill them completely up. I also buy my mediums and frames broken down so I have to put them together...real easy to do. Do you have a store that sells bee supplies close to you? Or a bee club? Both places can be very helpful.

If you get a 2nd hive, you can learn from this first hive and improve your equipment. kim