Default Why does a package go bad?

Just wondering. I just got two packages from a guy who has a very good record. Picked them up the day they got in (after, I'm guessing, a couple days transit). They were right next to eachother, attached by the wood, and one was in good condition, only a few dead. The other had about an inch of dead bees on the bottom, and since I hived them two days ago have probably lost a total of a third to a half of their population. What went wrong with them? I got a quick look at the other packages in the shipment, and it seemed like this one was the only one with a pile of dead bees at the bottom.

Weird. I plan to give them some brood from another hive as soon as there's enough. Or combine them, if it comes to that.

Was the syrup can noticably light in the one that went bad? Possible that it did not have a seal/vacuum and the syrup leaked on the bees and then they got chilled. Overheating can be a problem for packages in transit but probably not in AK and that would affect more than one package.
    Carl

I think the can was about as heavy as the other one. I wondered about that, for the ones that died in the package, but a whole ton of them died in the hive the first night, too. And those looked healthy and fit, they were just in a big dead ball.

Default Re: Why does a package go bad?

Packages got stacked against one on the USPS truck and they didn't receive enough air.

Default Re: Why does a package go bad?

Too it could be the age of the workers. Unfortunately worker bees start dying the day they are hatched living only around thirty days during spring and summer. If you can boost them with some brood until thier own starts hatchiing they should be okay.

psisk