Thread: Adding Bees

Default Adding Bees

Good Afternoon,
    Would like some advice from experienced beekeepers please.
    I received a 3# package of bees 4 weeks ago. When I received them over half were dead but the queen was alive. I installed the live bees and they have been working away building comb. The apiary said they will send another package but I stated all I needed were more replacement bees...should finally get them this week.
    Question, should I dump the new bees directly in comb side of the TBH, wait until evening and release package at the opening, dump in the partitioned end where the feeder is, etc???

Default Re: Adding Bees

that is a good question, did you ask the vendor if you could ? thats the first person i will ask because he should know better if you could mix to diff colony , i wouldn't be mixing them it will be a big melee on that top bar , GOOD LUCK!

I would shake them out in front of the hive. They will smell the queen and beg to be allowed in. I suppose another alternative would be to set the package (bees and all) still closed inside the top bar hive for 24 hours or so and let them all get used to each other's smell and then shake them out in front of the door. That would probably be the most prudent.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Also, there is no need to post the same question in multiple forums. Most of us read them all and the thread will be more disjointed with multiple threads.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you separate the two groups with a sheet of newspaper it will give them a chance to sense each others scents by the time they chew through.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Also, there is no need to post the same question in multiple forums. Most of us read them all and the thread will be more disjointed with multiple threads.
    Thanks...wasn't sure which forum would be best or if TBH would have it's own method.

I would shake them out in front of the hive. They will smell the queen and beg to be allowed in. I suppose another alternative would be to set the package (bees and all) still closed inside the top bar hive for 24 hours or so and let them all get used to each other's smell and then shake them out in front of the door. That would probably be the most prudent.
    Thanks for the input. Based on your input, other forum replies and a local Langstrom beekeeper input, what are your thoughts on this hybrid approach: Bee package placed in hive separated by divider board for 24 hours, newspaper divider board installed and package bees released? One forum post said to dust all bees with powdered sugar, by the time they clean each other up they'll all be best buds. Your thoughts?

Confusion is always your friend when doing any kind of combine. The powdered sugar probably won't hurt. I think getting used to each other is more effective, but no reason you can't do both.

You are not the first to use the term "Langstrom" but it is a mystery to me where it comes from. There is no such thing in beekeeping. It is "Langstroth" as in "L. L. Langstroth".

yea the other alternative to set the package in the top bar for 24 hours sound like the best idea

Confusion is always your friend when doing any kind of combine. The powdered sugar probably won't hurt. I think getting used to each other is more effective, but no reason you can't do both.

You are not the first to use the term "Langstrom" but it is a mystery to me where it comes from. There is no such thing in beekeeping. It is "Langstroth" as in "L. L. Langstroth".
    Thanks for the correction and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFAEL/PR View Post
    yea the other alternative to set the package in the top bar for 24 hours sound like the best idea
    I agree with Mike and Rafael; that's the route that I would take. After 24 hours I'd open the container inside the hive to let them walk out and join the other bees inside, and then I'd close everything up and come back the next day to remove the container, i.e., keep it simple, the theme of Mike's KISS book.