Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How many mediums should I have on hand?

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Ramona 
#1 ·
I have my first hive this year. I am using only mediums and I am building my own to add to the 3 I purchased. How many mediums should I have "just in case" on hand?

I have watched a video where they had about 8 stacked up on their hive. Is that normal? Most I see around are only 3 tall or so.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Depends on your honey flow. I had one hive last year that filled three with honey. They were in a single deep plus three mediums. That would mean you need at least six, three for the brood nest and three for honey. They may not fill them all this year but better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

psisk

#12 ·
I do it for several reasons, first one being shipping cost, if I am already making an order the added cost is negligible. Second, there are aways some that get messed up one way or another, I had several that where warped, couldn't use them anymore. Heck I don't know, it is just always what I have done....not suppose to ask why :lpf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.