Hybrid View

Default How many mediums should I have on hand?

I have my first hive this year. I am using only mediums and I am building my own to add to the 3 I purchased. How many mediums should I have "just in case" on hand?

I have watched a video where they had about 8 stacked up on their hive. Is that normal? Most I see around are only 3 tall or so.

Thanks!

Default Re: How many mediums should I have on hand?

It is a little escessive with 8 or even to own 8 the first year. Brood plus 1 honey is enough for the first year, or possibly 2 in northern climates.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Depends on your honey flow. I had one hive last year that filled three with honey. They were in a single deep plus three mediums. That would mean you need at least six, three for the brood nest and three for honey. They may not fill them all this year but better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

psisk

If you are using ALL mediums, I would suggest that you have six. Three for the broodnest plus some honey supers...

If you start building some 5-frame medium nuc equipment it will come in handy too.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Thanks all! I appreciate the recommendations.

I have always wanted to have a hive on our farm. I never knew how much I would enjoy it. I now want to get into this in a big way. So next year I plan to expand greatly.

The one place that extras come in handy is during swarm season, if you plan on catching swarms you may need more that 6, I have already caught 6 swarms this year and the boxes get used up in a hurry.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries