Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Went bare handed last night - got stung

i got drilled once saturday and once again on monday, and both times were when i was replacing a baggie feeder. i got too confident both times. you'd think they'd be more grateful for me bringing them more food but nooooooooooo. i will be wearing latex gloves from now on.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

I never knew people spent this much time on ways to not get stung.

They are bees, they sting...if you don't like to get stung raise hamsters....wait, hamsters bite.

I am new, and I still wear gloves, I want to go gloveless, but im a chicken**** when it comes to pain.

Raven, do they sting your gloves? I never wore gloves and haven't taken any stings to the fingers that I didn't deserve (i.e. crushed a bee or put my finger over a bee in a void on a plastic frame).

Usually bees don't go for the hands. The only time i usually get stung in the hands its because i smashed them. They sure do like the face though.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Raven, do they sting your gloves? I never wore gloves and haven't taken any stings to the fingers that I didn't deserve (i.e. crushed a bee or put my finger over a bee in a void on a plastic frame).
    You are very fortunate. I used gloves that were protected only on the palm and got stung 4 times on the type of my hands. You must have some special quality.

I can't wear the leather gloves. I hate them. Latex/Nitrile make my hands sweat like crazy. I just go commando. That has worked great for me except that one time when the cows got the bees mad. I got stung several times on the fingers but it didn't hurt, only itched like mad for days afterwards.

Stings go with keeping bees, its a fact. Sometimes we just get so worried about things they are bigger in our head than they really are. This is how we work bees and they are a pretty savage lot in this hive.

Last edited by rmcpb; 05-01-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Photobucket to the rescue
    Cheers
    Rob

I am finding the only downside to gloveless is the dirty stained fingers. Thanks for the baby powder tip, its worth a try. I have been keeping bees since 2008 and am finding that it as well as reactions diminishing to nothing a benefit of getting stung regularly is that the stings have become less painful. I just brush it off and carry on.

I kind of like propolis stained fingers. Dirty hands make people at the office think I actually work.

Attaboy Rob, show off those forearms. We try to be a little classier, and roll up our sleeves, so the bees can't get up there.
    It is a sad day when we must roll the sleeves down(bees are TOO mean from weather).

Crazy Roland

My first year I made a point to go glove-less as much as I could for some reason. Not sure why. Didn't really get stung on my hands much though. Now I really like the long leather gloves that are vented at the wrist and go up to my elbows. I always wear that and my veil. Last weekend I wore those, my veil, and shorts and a t-shirt to work my hives though I wear them that way because I feel really comfortable and like I don't have to worry about the stings to the hands or the face at all. Not that I'm all that worried about a sting.. I found that after keeping bees and getting stung for a few years that stings really stopped bugging me that much at all. The tipping point was a cut out where I got stung 8 or 9 times through out the day. After that it wasn't bad at all This last winter I actually found myself fondly thinking of my first sting this spring!
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Attaboy Rob, show off those forearms. We try to be a little classier, and roll up our sleeves, so the bees can't get up there.
    It is a sad day when we must roll the sleeves down(bees are TOO mean from weather).
    The sleeves down and flapping put some sport in it. Sometimes they go up there and get trapped, then watch us jump around!!
    Cheers
    Rob

I went I to a hive today for the first time without gloves and its the first time I haven't been stung on the hands I think it was Michael Bush that said that stings are attracted to clumbsy bee keepers I think I will go gloveless more often. I don't even own a suit yet but the 2 places I didn't really want stung was the face and hands I decided the hands aren't that bad

I got my first bee sting from my new hive on the very first day. I successfully installed the bees into their new home, but forgot to add the pollen patty that I bought for them. So I went back out without my gloves (BTW, thats all I used to protect myself. At that point I had no viel, jacket or suit, just gloves.) opened the top and slide the patty in under the cover and thats when one hit me on the back of my left hand. I quickly brushed it off and out and was shocked that I actually got stung. It didn't hurt much at all. I've had worse mosquito bites actually. Maybe because I acted so quickly to the sting that I didn't get much venom in me but it didn't even itch later. Just a slight redish bump for a day then nothing. Since then I've been using my work gloves and the jacket with zippered veil that I finally bought wheneven I start working the bees. I just today got me some proper, long, vented gloves and a real smoker to work the bees. SO we'll see how it goes.

I hope to get to the point where I don't wear gloves while working the bees. I see so many videos where people aren't wearing much at all. I guess its a comfort level. Years ago I saw an older cowbow deal with a rattlesnake with his hat. He didn't seem too upset that the snake was hiding under his hat and he was well within the snakes strike range. Again, a certain level of comfort.

oh you poor BABIES did you remember to call MOMMY and show her your booboos GROW A PAIR
    On an emotional level I agree but I would never say anything like that to anybody.

I've had my bees almost 5 weeks now and wear protection if I open the hives. I haven't when refilling the bucket feeders. I got stung for the first and only time this past weekend when I was gathering leaves/pine straw for smoker from under a piece of roofing where it was dry. I never saw what did it? Was most likely a ground burrow bee of sorts. I plan to clean up "the mess" this weekend and see what's living under there. I saw a mouse too so not a good idea so close to my hives. Man my thumb is itching! Skin has come off in area of sting. Lesson learned. :-)

I wear the garden glove that is coated on the palm. The bees have no problem stinging through the back. I used to go bare handed but I have a problem with the sticky gooey feel that you get from working a hive. I first tried vinyl medical gloves but my hands sweat so bad in fifteen minutes the inside is soaked and these were talc coated.
    Don't be afraid to change what you do. When you first start out the hive is small and if you get lucky it will get much bigger and maybe more intimidating and aggressive. Stings are bound to come but the more comfortable you are handling your bees the less likely you will get stung.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I bought a pair of Mann Lake's economy gloves and really like them. Much thinner than leather or goat skin, stops most of the stings, and cheap!

Not everyone is 12 years into being stung with time stings are easyer to take.
    I still suit up when i in my hives but i'm only on my 4th year .I'm sure with time and experience the gloves will come off . Last year i got stung over 70 times most times being in the bee yard foolling around just got to see how there doing and catching swarms.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}