Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Went bare handed last night - got stung

Got brave enough to go bare handed last night and I got stung. I new sooner or later I would get stung and was always nervous about it, but it wasn't really that bad at all. Fliched the stinger our with a credit card and went back to it. Ididn't really swell up or anything. So I think it was a good experience. Now I won't be nervous working in the hives!

Default Re: Went bare handed last night - got stung

Well you know what they say. If you stick your hand in a dog's mouth and he bites you, then you made a mistake, but if you stick your hand back in the dog's mouth you are !!!!!!

I get stung pretty consistantly on my hands. No big deal-sometimes I don't even realize it anymore..but...Ha ha, wait until it starts itching in a day or so. But maybe that's just my reaction. That's what drives me a little crazy.

It depends on where I get stung on my hands as to the reaction. On the fingers it's just sensitive for a day or so but I got two stings on the back of my hand in that fleshy area between thumb and index finger Saturday and yesterday my hand looked like a balloon.

I don't know if it acually works or if it is a mental thing...but I always clean my hive tool and equipment with Amonia water. I take it with me in a bucket to the feild. I clean my hands and hive tool before going into each different hive to keep down crosscontamination if the happens to be a problem.
    Anyway, every single time that I have washed my hands in Amonia water, I have never been stung on the hands. When I would forget, I have been stung. So I try to do it every time. It sure is a confidence booster anyway.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Hello, I started to try to work my bee's with less gear on also... getting too hot here in Texas to wear the whole suit. Anyway, I've been very sucessful so far . The hardest part for me is getting used to the girls landing on my legs and arms and walking around without flinching too bad ! I've watched my mentor do this often and have been very impressed at his calmness while they all land ,walk all over him , and take off again. He said that they are like dogs ... they can tell when you are nervous and that makes them a bit "upity" . ( don't know about that spelling but that's the word he uses. LOL ! ) I agree with Goldprospector, it helps to have confidence. We'll keep at it this way unless it goes bad one day ...at which time I'll go back to the suit ! :-)

I started out hardcore. I found the full suit way too hot here in Mississippi. Bought a Jacket with zipper veil, still too hot, now I use a veiled bee vest from Rossman, T-shirt, and khakis. I've never worn gloves and thus far have only been stung on my hands 3 times. I have one hot hive and if I get stung it is usually on my arm. The good news is, I seemed to have been developing arthritis in my elbows, but with the occasional sting on either arm, the pain has subsided in my elbows by a huge factor.

Hang in there. I've not used gloves in years and I was scared when I first started going gloveless. I got stung the first time as well. Got continually better until now the biggest chance I'll get stung is from if there's a bee under the frame "ear" or if one is hiding in a weird spot. I've learned to gently tap/touch where ever I am about to pick something up from with my finger tips. The bees will normally move out of the way when they get tapped. Once you've gone gloveless comfortably, you'll be working your bees in shorts and T-shirts in no time. Working bees while still staying relatively cool is SO much better than having to fully suit up in time and comfort.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I use gloves at harvest only. The rest of the time it's barehand unless they're testy. Then I dust my hands with baby powder and that calms them down. But I use just a little. Otherwise, they love it so much they start to crawl all over my hands which makes it very difficult to work the hive!

Something I got out of Beekeeping For Dummies is to coat your hands with baby powder. They seem to like the smell and on top of that if your hands start getting really sticky from propolis or sugary syrup (this time of year) you can always dust your hands with baby powder and it cleans them right up.

This is my first year beekeeping, but I read that smoking your hands first will mask some other smells. It's worked so far, I haven't been stung yet.

My first year beekeeping too - I've been spraying my hands with the general essential oil recipe from here : http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Beekeep...al_Oil_Mixture I've only handled them barehanded without any smoke and am certainly a nervous beginner but so far no stings at all. We'll see once I get beyond two nucs and the hives are full of bees if I'll feel as comfortable but so far they haven't stung me at all. I know that the use of essential oils is controversial and my intent is not to open up that debate here - just sharing that using the mix on my hands has certainly seemed to avoid any stings.

I spray with peppermint oil (in plain water, ad-hoc amount, often stirred up in a blender). First, all over myself. Then, using this in lieu of smoke (because "it works"). However, I unabashedly put disposable latex gloves of moderate thickness on my hands, and a veil on my head, no matter what.

For one thing, lots of things in a hive are sticky. Messy. For another, I really don't want to put human scents and sweat all over their hive. And finally, if there are two places on my body that I truly do not want to be stung, they are: first-and-foremost, my face and neck; secondarily my hands.

You just need to find what works for you ... and, this will change from time to time. These are stinging insects: Ergo, you will from time to time get stung. ("Not cool with that? Don't keep honeybees.") It doesn't mean anything if you don't; obviously, atypical aggression might be a signal. There are things that you can try to do to minimize stings and to avoid them, some of which will work and some of which may have no effect at all. There are ways that you can behave toward the bees and how you carry out your work that frequently reduce the very, very natural defend-the-hive reaction. But this reaction is what enables the hive to survive in the wild. What works fine one day might not work the same way next day. "It's nothing personal. it's nature."

Do whatever you must for you to feel thoroughly comfortable, focused, and prepared, this time. Many a day, most days, I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt. My full-armor suit is nevertheless at hand. But that's me, not you. "Trust your gut."
    Last edited by mrobinson; 05-21-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Something I got out of Beekeeping For Dummies is to coat your hands with baby powder. They seem to like the smell and on top of that if your hands start getting really sticky from propolis or sugary syrup (this time of year) you can always dust your hands with baby powder and it cleans them right up.
    Has anyone else used baby powder? I know an older beek that's what he uses I asked him but he said thats what I've always done???
    So I thought if any more are doing this... Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    Hang in there. I've not used gloves in years and I was scared when I first started going gloveless. I got stung the first time as well...a bee under the frame "ear" or if one is hiding in a weird spot.
    Back when I first tried going gloveless this is how I got stung too. I haven't tried since. I get local swelling when stung. That was 2 years ago. I think I will start trying again. I will spray some home made bee robber on my hands, and begin only with gentle hives until I get better at it. I'd love to work gloveless. I will always cover my face though. I have a helmet with pocket veil for just checking on hives and mowing. No heat problem with those. Ultrabreeze jacket for everything else.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    On the fingers it's just sensitive for a day or so but I got two stings on the back of my hand in that fleshy area between thumb and index finger Saturday and yesterday my hand looked like a balloon.
    ive taken hits on fingers that have left them sentive for a day or so. but getting hit on the back of the hand... i cringe when that happens. Everytime my hand swells up and becomes very uncomfortable due to the swelling... then it iches

I usually wear medical grade Nitrile Gloves (eg "laytex"). they fit snug so you have the fine dexterity, offer some sting protection and most importantly to me, keeps the sticky propolis off my hands!

I smoke my hands and have only been stung when I deserved it, e.g., accidentally crushing somebeedy.

I would think the baby powder would attract the bees to your hands because of the smell.

I use rubber nitrile gloves (9 mil thick) everytime I work with my hives. I buy them in boxes of 50 from Harbor Frieght Tools for under $8.00 a box. My bees haven't stung through them yet, plus I don't get propolis on my hands.

I'm new, but I went 'commando' from the start. I got stung three times on the install of two hives. Twice under the collar of my shirt when my neck pressed them against the shirt. Lesson learned: Don't wear a collared shirt. The third time was when I pinched one between my fingers. Lesson learned: keep my fingers together like a pair of flippers, and if I have to separate my fingers, watch when I bring them together. Again, I'm new and I'm sure there may be times when aggression dictates suiting up.