Angry Bottom Board Problems

I have three new hives, they are about one month old. I have all three on screened bottom boards with plastic insert. Well I read many comments from beekeepers and came to the conclusion that the plastic inserts needed to stay in place to prevent to much ventilation. Wrong. Today I pulled one of the sheets and found Wax Moth larva crawling around on them. All three. About 20 larva on each board. Very few mites. Two small beetles, which I assume are SHB. The bees drop much pollen and wax onto the sheets, they cannot get at the sheet to clean it, the Wax Moths find it and here we go. For me no more closed wire mesh bottom boards. If it proves to be to much ventilation then I will replace with solid bottom boards. As a newbie I ask your guidance on this/these problems. Thanks.
    Another point I have Bacillus thuringlensis subspecies kurstaki 15 % Can I spray this on an active hive? Or should it be only for spare frames and boxes? At the proper concentration of course. Is there a different subspecies for bees?
    Thanks x2

Default Re: Bottom Board Problems

Are you sure it is wax moth larva and not shb larva?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Bacillus thuringlensis subspecies kurstaki 15 %

NO<<NO<<NO<<NNOO wrong stuff what you want starts with an ""A "" >>> Bt Aizawai Powder<<< talk to sundance in "" for sale """

sfisher
    Nope, will look for some pictures.

the kid;
    Thanks will look for the "A"

I try to leave my hives open for ventilation, even in the winter. Here in Arkansas it's not been a problem, but I do put up bales of hay about 2' out in the winter for a wind break. I really like the bottom board with the oil trays - they catch and kill, no questions asked. I will leave them on for 3 days at a time and sometimes shorter if really hot. Sometimes longer if showing shb or mite drop.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

I use the screened bottom board with shb trap from Rossman. They are wonderful, when I work my hives, the shb run from the light and wind up in the trap. Best money I have ever invested in equipment.

I believe most of us that use screened bottom boards keep them open all the time. A few in the far north may close them during winter, but even here in Indiana, most leave them open year 'round.

Leave them open. Do the larva look like this, if they do they are SHB.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...69292-New-Nucs

I leave mine open year round as well, no problems with "over ventilation" here, and I also run ventilated inner covers.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Keep the slides out unless you are doing a mite count!

I am of the opinion that a solid bottom of any kind is an invitation to SHB, wax moths, and reinfestation of discarded mites. Screens mean that the house bees dont have to work taking out the trash as much and can spend more time working the comb and chasing pests.

psisk

I use screen bottom boards and leave them open year round. The only problem I see leaving them that way is that, the larva need to make it to the ground below the hive to pupate. And the screen bottom board makes it real easy for them to just fall through to the ground.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

All of you have VERY helpful, THANKS