Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colors of Hive

Default Re: Colors of Hive

I have different size hives (unfortunately) ie 10 F , 8F both in full depth and 3/4 size plus some other other boxes. I have colour coded the boxes so I have instantly recognition of the type. The colours I choose was the one's I had (very scientific) but have used pastel colours.

My hives are all different colors and I've never had a problem with overheating..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27805976@N05/8448161605/

Lisa Smith
    Indian Brook Farm
    Swanzey, NH

I’m really not that serious

Wow. Those girls have no excuse for drifting.
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing...
    - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by throrope View Post
    I doubt the bees care about color and IMHO the heat issue is seriously over rated. I use deck sealer for an "au-natural" look. Those who appreciate bees see them and they blend in for all others.

Attachment 2021
    Any problems with the deck sealer? I have been thinking about wax dipping but it seems expensive and dangerous. Some years ago I used Thompsons Wood Sealer in a cheap compression sprayer to do my deck…fast & easy. I would think a person could redo his hives the same way every few years
    Where are we and what's with this hand basket?

Mine are color coded. white bases, blue with stars for meds. and red supers. and red lids.... which makes my hives look like flags in the summer...

Most of the bee trees and other places that swarms decide live in will vary in color, from light to dark. I don't think they really care what color their home is. I can see where darker hives could have an advantage in the winter months as dark does collect heat. I can see where light colored hives could be an advantage in the summer. I think we worry too much about color because they don't seem to and they have survived well until this time without us. I do like Cabot stain, and can get oops gallons at Lowes for $5.00. I think ventilation in the winter is the most important thing to keep moisture down.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123