Default Old hive - New Bees -Latest inspection

About 2 weeks ago, I found one of my father's old hives had a colony of bees to move in. The hive has been dormant since my father passed about two years ago. When I first went to inspect the hive i found it had one 6 inch super, a queen excluder and a deep hive body. Upon taken the top cover off I found the super with old, fully drawn out comb, but no honey or anything stored. I figured I needed to remove this old super, so today I went back and removed it. All that is left is the top cover, inner top cover and hive body with 10 frames. I have not been able to inspect the deep hives frames but it sounded like a pretty good many bees fanning the smoke. What do I need to do now? Do I need to replace the old deep frames with new ones or let them continue to use these old ones? I also noticed what look like small roaches running around. Is this a problem and if so, what do I need to do about them as well? Thanks to all for any help with my new endeavors. I am a first year bee keeper.

MAtt

Default Re: Old hive - New Bees -Latest inspection

See if you can snap a picture of the "small roaches." They MIGHT be SHB and, if so, can be a REAL problem if not handled promptly. Other than that, I'd let the bees use the old comb for now, since they liked it enough to move in...just check on 'em once a week or so & put the super back on (without the excluder) once they have 75% of the frames in that bottom box covered with bees. At that point, you'll likely want to look into getting more boxes, and more frames, so you'll have something to give them once they have that space filled up.