Default New install - bees on the inside cover

I installed a large swarm in my first TBH yesterday. The swarm was 6-8 LBS. I am a newbie with 2 Lang hives. The install on the TBH was a nightmare because my baggy feeder leaked all over the place. I am sure that a number of bees drowned (hopefully, not the queen). When I finished the install, there was a patch of bees on the inside cover that I could not get to with my brush. I figured that they would make their way inside overnight. When I checked this morning, several thousand bees were on the inside cover. I was concerned that perhaps, the queen was on the inside cover instead of in the hive, so I tried to gently brush the bees back inside. I don't think I accomplished much. There are still a ton of bees inside the hive, but the large number on the inside cover has me worried. I tried to rubber band some comb to a couple bars, but the bands cut through the comb. So, I heated the comb and used the melted wax to adhere comb to 2 bars. Perhaps, they just need more room inside?

A couple questions:
    1. Should I give the bees more space inside the hive? The instructions said 8 bars, I gave them 12.
    2. What do I do if anything if they continue to congregate on the inside cover? I can see signs that they are trying to draw comb there. The old adage of hearding cats comes to mind when moving bees.

Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: New install - bees on the inside cover

I just took a look. All of the bees are now on the inside cover of my TBH. I set up an empty Lang nearby with a feeder and swarm attractant. Anything else that I should be doing?

How are they getting to the cover? Is there a gap between bars? I was thinking of Making a gap on some spare bars for honey comb and leaving my brood bars gapless. I have a block of foam as a "core" to my lid so there's basically no gap between the top of my bars and the bottom of the insulated lid. It's friction fit so I can remove it if need be in a frame of 1x2 with thin plywood on top .

I am a newb but just for fun I would guess your queen is on that lid somewhere ( assuming u have one) and the rest went to her?

I am curious about space also. I gave both hive 10 bars on 4lb packages. They were both became really active till I moved my feeder to the back. One hive has really slouched off. the one with comb right next to the feeder. I haven't checked for brood yet other than rearrainging the one bar that was on my feeder they started drawing out. I wonder if it's temps. 70 for highs and mid to high 30s for lows in the mornings finally. My instructions said to move the false back after a couple if days to help get them established at the front of the hive. Moving it back up in colder temps. I might move mine back and start inserting one bar at a time to help them regulate temps if our lows don't climb up

No gap between the bars. They are going in and out of the entrance. I affixed a queen excluder to the entrance and then brushed all the bees into the hive. I think I got the queen because they seem to be going in the hive. Time will tell...

I don't think I would make a gap above your bars, unless there is no space between your cover and the bars. Otherwise, the bees will start drawing comb down from the inner cover.

Thanks for the reply!

That was my next question if they got above the bars wouldn't they draw comb lol. I put a spacer between my last bar and the feeder. Rookie mistake. It now has a half drawn comb Oops lol.

The gap was for feeding with a top hive feeder. With the foam there's no gap. Without it there will be. Thinking of ideas to feed later on closer to winter without having to get into the hive.

Looking forward to updates!