Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Wood working equipment

Daniel Y makes a good point. Unless you are really interested in woodworking, and have some experience in woodworking, it may be a mistake to invest even a couple of hundred dollars in equipment to make your own hives. Especially if you are a hobbyist and will only need a few.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I'm not setup to make boxes efficiently, and the cost of lumber vs. $9.40 just isn't with the time. Tops and bottoms, otoh, are worth my time.

As much as I can, I use a radial arm saw instead of a tablessaw..... a good ras (not a cheaper craftsman...older Delta/Rockwell, dewalt or sawsmith.... something cast iron, not sheet metal) that is kept in adjustment is safer for most operations (not ripping).
    Deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    you can figure almost a quarter of a 1X12 is waste. .
    This is not the case for me. The only waste from my shop is the sawdust and some of the shavings. Everything else that does not go into a project goes into the stove for heat.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I Buy 1 x 12 x 12 for $12 a piece, this makes me two deeps,

I use a Freid blade thats extra thin, and rip the 12' board to 9 7/8", which leaves me around 1 1/2" to make all kinds of extras, like bases, inner covers, outer covers.

So my $6 deep cannot be beat in my opinion. plus i love wood working.

I'm a woodworker with a full shop and so far I've made all my own equipment for my first 60 hives, BUT I have come to the conclussion it's silly for me to spend time woodworking to make bee equipment when I could be spending the same time making furniture.

Not to mention that making the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER again is MONONTONEOUS

If you like woodworking and already have the equipment, making your own stuff is fun and pretty cheap. However, if you are making large amounts of it (hundreds of hives, for instance) you are far better off buying it due to the time required.

You can make all sorts of non-standard equipment yourself, though, if you want to experiment. I'd not expect a sideliner or professional to be experimenting much, though, at least not on a large number of hives.

Peter

Do you become a professional overnight or do you gradually increase to the point of being a professional.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 11-20-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: UNQuote

If you already have the equipment, and are making hundreds of hives, you should be able to make them for the same per unit cost as the commercial manufacturers. Then, depending on how much your time is worth, vrs how much the commercial manufacturers want for their labor and profit, you should be able to save big, do the work in the off season.

There is a lot of free wood out there if you look for it. I get lots and lots each year. Cypress is about the only wood that I have to buy. Once you get in with a half dozen building contractors you will have all you need. One apartment building or a commercial building will get you hundreds of short pieces. Short pieces of wood they normally burn.

If you are around saw mills, you will find lots of pine/poplar that is less than 8 ft long, and they sell those short pieces cheap, just to get rid of them. Stack and cure for one year, then ready to go. Old buildings have 1 X 12 shelving which makes good hives. Watch for them being torn down or remodeled. Roofing contractors have 1 X 12 sheathing, and 1 X 4 which can be glued to make shallow, deep boxes, and bottom boards.. Watch auctions of farm property that have stacks of lumber for sale. Pine, poplar, oak, is normally cheap. Check the Habitat for Humanity Restore. They get in a lot of wood of various kinds and lengths. If the wood is free, and you like woodworking, you can beat the commercial prices. If not, then just buy them.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by garusher View Post
    Do you become a professional overnight or do you gradually increase to the point of being a professional.
    It's an overnight process. Read a book today, sleep on it, tomorrow you're a pro!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123