Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Got a Mess in the Hive

>As a new bee keeper, so take it for what it is, from what I am reading, I think allot of the problem arises from not paying close attention to a new install on the TBH. 1 3/8ths bars are great for brood but too small for homey comb.

Actually it's too small for brood. That should be 1 1/4". They build the honey more consistently when I go 1 1/2".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I know that was just mis-reading michael but 1-3/8ths is 1/8th bigger than 1-1/4 hehe

anyone play with any of the new light cured resins to re-attach?

>I know that was just mis-reading michael but 1-3/8ths is 1/8th bigger than 1-1/4 hehe

Sorry. Not what I meant to say. 1 3/8" is too big for brood and too small for honey...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by bmac1985 View Post
    Matt, thanks!
    Are you the guy who did the "Out of the blue sky" clips on YouTube? I learned a lot from those. Thanks again.
    Mac
    You're thinking about McCartney Taylor. His screen name on Beesource is outofabluesky also.
    He doesn't come here very much.

"Matt, thanks!
    Are you the guy who did the "Out of the blue sky" clips on YouTube? I learned a lot from those. Thanks again.
    Mac"

Not I...just found them useful as well and the hair clip trick worked for me, so thought I would suggest it.

Matt M.
    Last edited by MacNachtan; 05-23-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: clarity

I like the simplicity of 1-1/4 & 1-1/2 other research says 1-3/8 and 1-5/8ths which is what I have now 1-3/8 with 1/4 spacers. Not using spacers means I have to know how many 1-1/4 & 1-/2 bars to fill the hive and if the bees want more or less 1-1/4 I will have to cut a spacer for the back to make up the difference & close it up right?

I need a table saw

About a year ago I downloaded a raido program and some guy was talking about his tbh'sin Colorado.
    I looked at his web site and was impressed..take a look..no I'm not his agent..but something to think about..I'm a Lang beek, but thinking about getting a tbh, next year..it's seems those into tbh, are most for the bees and not the honey...I only collect in October. North west New Jersey...thanks
    Www.backyard hives.com

If it was a question of ripping all of the top bars, I'd make them all 1 1/4" and a lot of 1/4" spacers for the honey area. But since one by twos are 1 1/2" I don't have to rip those... and it's easier not to.

That is a really good site, the hives overpriced though, and they have done allot of experimenting to save us some time as MB seems to have done. The hives are for honey and beeswax of course, not only for the bees, but a partnership with the bees

I was thinking the same thing on the 1x2s but you said they got off track in the brood area no?

>I was thinking the same thing on the 1x2s but you said they got off track in the brood area no?

Yes, so I cut those down to 1 1/4" and left the rest 1 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ogborn View Post
    It's like the differances of transmissions for cars and trucks. The people that are used to driving with an automatic transmission
    hate standard transmissions, or the other way around. Both transmissions work for what they're designed to do.
    Getting used to driving one or the other, or switching between the two is where people start having problems with them.
    Now apply this to the differances in a TBH or Lang hive. Right now I'm having trouble learning about my Lang hive.
    I keep trying to inspect it like a TBH. I can't figure out how to get the frames back in without squishing bees.
    I'm ready to cut out my Lang box and hang them in a TBH.
    Great analogy! A lang is more like an automatic transmission and a top bar is akin to a standard transmission... each has applications that they are better suited for.

I'm curious about those with cross comb issues, how precise were you in making sure that your hives were level from end to end and front to back? Wondering if that could be part of the problem. Also what kind of comb guides are you using on the bars?

I have one hive with comb that is perfectly straight from one end to the other and another that has a slight curve toward the ends of some of the bars, but not enough to cause a problem when moving the bars.

Mine were as level in both directions as I could get them. A brand new hive with a new package installed.
    They started building comb, not following the comb guides, but off of the queen cage.
    My comb guides were the waxed filled groove. I haven't had any real problems since.

What we did with apparent success was: level the hives; put bars with popsicle-sticks set halfway-down in a saw kerf with wood glue; remove the non-candy cork from the queen cage and put her directly on the bottom of the hive among the bees, watching that she was on the way out as we closed up. The only apparently-useful "improvement" that we made to the simplified book design (aside from omitting the legs...) was to also cut a saw-kerf line on one end of each bar where the bar would naturally sit on the (tilted...) edge-board of the hive. This causes the bars to "naturally" click into place, perpendicular to the sides like they're supposed to be, and so not to slide back-and-forth until of course the bees eventually glue them down. (It was unnecessary to cut kerfs on both ends.)

We rather arbitrarily cut every bar 1-1/2".

When the bees started wanting to build from one comb to the next we inserted a blank. They subsequently built-out both bars straight.

Hive in progress ... stay tuned.

As a new beekeeper I'd like to add my one cent. It could also be the bees themselves. Some build straight and some don't. My first TBH was so easy I got another. Second one had been a big mess. I want to learn about bees so I'm going to continue with them.

Brian,

I built two of their golden mean hives.

I think mine are slow due to weather, my first week was cold....2nd week was pretty nice, I'm into week three and we're cold again. That said after some long talks. I would consider lengthening the hive if you plan on using a follower board feeder.

I also have their video and he talks about using a small dish to feed in the bottom of the hive. I've feeding 2 to 2.5 quarts of syrup every 3rd day when the weather was nice. There's no way to keep up with that in a small dish in the bottom of the hive. I went to a follower board feeder. originally had intended on using a internal style boardman feeder but went with the upper entranced follower boardman due to the temps around here. If you go longer leave 2-4"es extra for the feeder so you have room in the hive....mines getting a bit cramped with 28"es and a 4" follower board. I'm thinking about making a miller feeder to sit on top and run a gap between two bars for them to get to it.

Other than the feeding issue, I really like it. I have their bars, ran out of time building before I left for a few weeks, but I would also leave gaps so you can put on supers. I'm headed to work, but in one of my posts there's a local doing it, and I found another person adding supers to his online. Makes sense if you dont go with a longer box.....might help with the room issue. But plan for it, I've got bees in the works and I gotta redo my lids to accomodate whatever route I end up going. The window is a lot of fun....I can watch and never move a bar! Great for a new beek like myself.