Default My bees are swarming

My bees are starting to swarm on a tree branch about ten feet away from their hive. What should I do?

Default Re: My bees are swarming

Grab an empty 10 framer, put one or two drawn brood combs against one side of the box, put two foundation frames toward the center of the box, hold box under branch and shake/brush bees into box. Cover quickly. If any bees return to the swarming site, shake them again, and let them fall in front of the box. If bees start marching into box, you have the queen. If not, they will return to where she is. Repeat shaking/brushing into box. After they have settled, if you can, leave them overnight then move them tomorrow if you need to, or leave them there for a few days.

Good Luck.

cchoganjr

Catch them just like Cleo said and now you have another hive! Good luck!

Sully

I've got them in a hive box and as an emergency lid I used a queen sep. and put a piece of glass on top of that. The glass will allow bees to get in. Is it an okay idea to have an entrance so the bees can get in should the queen happen to be inside?

Last night I caught 3 swarms. The first 2 filled the equipment that I always carry in my truck this time of the year. I then spotted the 3rd swarm. I shook them into a empty 5 gallon pail. Most went in and the rest fell to the ground. I layed the pail on its side with the lid just cracked open and the ground bee's marched in

Cool. Thanks for your help everyone. Here's the swarm:
    http://brainwashed.com/important/mmob.jpg