Default Back to Beekeeping in NC

I kept Bees years ago. Been away from it for about 20 years. Finally got things set up the way I want and am back to five hives this year.
    The wife and I restored a farm house built in 1840 after we moved it onto 36 wooded acres. We are surrounded with a few thousand acres of basically nothing but wildlife and plants so I figured the bees will do OK here.

Ive been lurking here for a while reading and trying to learn how things are done today. When I had bees before, we never treated with anything and As I remember, we only ever lost two hives. One was to flood and the other is a mystery to me now. Over the years, I had heard about all of the diseases and problems with losing bees and I often wondered if the Beekeepers were killing the bees with too much treatments.

Anyway, no soapboxes yet.

I started this year with two packages of Italians from Georgia. Then two Packages of Italians that a friend shook out of his hives and installed a Italian Queen from Hawaii. (He says they are great). I then split one of the geargia Hive because it was growing like crazy. They filled two hive bodies in no time.

The difference in me now is that I try to observe the bees and learn what they need...and I probably mess with them too much, when years ago, I saw it almost as a chore and I just let them do there thing.
    Last edited by Goldprospector; 05-18-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Default Re: Back to Beekeeping in NC

Don't be afraid to consult our local bee inspection service, they're tax payer paid, and can give you good advice on what to do or not to do. They don't know everything, but they can tell you how to keep them alive for sure.

Your story mirrors mine almost exactly...loving my bees now, but having to relearn the craft.

Welcome GP!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks