Default Flowers for bees

I am looking for a periennial flower to plant that bees love, is low maintance, and blooms in later summer/fall when most other wild flowers are done.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Flowers for bees

New England Aster
    Common Goldenrod
    Stiff Goldenrod

All native to your (our) part of the country. Go easy on the common goldenrod seed - they proliferate by rhizomes and can quickly overrun your space.

I plant buckwheat . It is not a perennial but it is cheap and blooms fast . I believe it will produce a darker honey .

I normally do 3 plantings a week apart from 1 another , I believe it will flower in 25 days .

Agastache my bees love the stuff Blue Fortune is a great variety

Russian Sage if it works for your zone. It is the last good meal my bees get, well after first frost.

What hawkster said. Its called Anise Hyssop, they sell it at homedepot and lowes during the summer. Its a great plant! Mine bloom from july-november!! They always have bees. If i had lots of land i would plant an acre of the stuff!

Fireweed is excellent and makes very clear honey. Only one thing it is a very invasive plant it consumed 5 acres in 2 year time.

In the fall I killed an acre of grass/hay and am going to sow yellow and white sweet clover (hubam), crimson clover and lavender when all signs of grass are gone. The clovers are annual but are supposed to be very good for bees.

A word on goldenrod - last year I thought there was a dead animal in one of my hives. It stank to high heaven. Took the hive apart looking for something, walked all the ditchlines and fields looking for something rotten. Turned out to be goldenrod the bees harvested. The honey from that hive was sooooo bad I've just been feeding it back to the bees. It was beautiful honey but tasted like dirty gym socks (or so I'd imagine). Just my opinion though. Here's a link to plants for bees that I've found useful http://www.themelissagarden.com/TMG_Vetaley031608.htm

There are many that the bees will go to; but remember to have any impact on your hive you will be planting an entire acre+ of whatever it is. A few flowers around your yard will not do much for them.

That said I plant plenty around my yard because they look good and my wife enjoys the fresh bouquets I bring her.

I would also second the goldenrod opinion. That honey is not for people, only bees.
    Last edited by avesterfelt; 05-18-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Experience is better than theory.