Default 2nd peek inside, did I see the right things??

Hello everyone!! After receiving my bees on April 30, I checked on them the first time on May 6th and refilled the feeders and quickly put everything back together. 12 days later, today, I checked again, and...

I did NOT see the queen, but I did see lots of capped brood. Maybe on 3-4 frames and some honey. They were not aggressive like I thought they would be.

I also put a 'grease patty' on the top of the brood chamber as instructed in Beekeeing for dummies book which is made out of crisco, honey, and granulated sugar for traechal mites. Their feeders were also empty, so I filled each of those.

I seen the capped brood, so I figure the queen had to be somewhere.

My questions are: when is the next time I should check on them? Another 2 weeks from now? And when do I stop giving them sugar water?? The entrance reducer, I have it on the smallest opening right now, do I change it to the larger opening when it gets warmer (it's been up to 80 here) or wait until those babies hatch?

One hive has a lot more brood than the other, maybe by a frame or so.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for always being so kind to answer and help me

Angela

Default Re: 2nd peek inside, did I see the right things??

On the reducer I waited till there were so much traffic in the small one they were trying to run over eachother trying to get in and out of the hive. As far as the queen I have only found her once and as long as I see capped, and larvae brood when I do my inspections, I let it go and just close it back up and wait for the next inspection. I only feed mine an 8 oz. jar per day and some days I dont give them any. I been doing a weekly inspection just to learn what is going on in the hive and get used to working with the bees. Just my 2 cents.

Check once a week -- now that you have capped brood, the population of the hive will jump up rapidly when they emerge. I've not heard of anyone having problems with tracheal mites for a while, so the grease patty may have been unnecessary, but it won't hurt any.

When they have filled most of the frames and are using them for storage or brood, add another box of foundation. Don't put it on too early, as they tend to move up and quit using the bottom box if they have too much room, and they will build it out faster if crowded a bit.

Feed until you have fully drawn comb in whatever boxes you intend to over-winter them in.

Peter

Check em once a week if you are new to beekeeping. As for the grease patties I will be surprised if they touch em with a flow on. Let us know.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Thank you all for replying! I was so excited to see brood! I really hope it all turns out well.

I bought Apiguard for varroa mites, should I start using that as well?

As for the parties, they were all over those things when I put them in there. Was really cute watching them stick their little tongues out and licking them ~

Thanks for the info on the reducer. I will leave it for another few weeks and see how it goes.

I seen a lot of colored stuff down in some of the cells. Like dark yellow, some dark grey and green. Was that various types of pollen? They weren't capped.

Thanks again!!!

Yes, that was stored pollen.

I'm new to this to, I installed my package on April 18 and my Nuc on April 22. With only 2 hives I think I'm gonna try to use the powdered sugar treatment for Varroa mites, I plan to apply on the same day of the week for 5 weeks starting in Mid September.

Good Luck