Default What do you think?

I hived two new packages on April 17th side by side. I used a screened bottom board on one and a solid bottom on the other. I have noticed that the hive with the solid bottom is way ahead of the screened. It is doing fine, just behind.

Is it possible that because of the cool spring nights it takes the screened hive a little longer to get going in the morning?

Will the screened hive catch up in the summer because it will stay cooler?

Default Re: What do you think?

The limiting factor on any colony building up is how much brood they can keep warm. The more brood they can keep warm, the more cells have a bee coming out of it 21 days later. SHAZAMM!! Yer telling me that a colony with a friggen gaping hole in the bottom can't build uP? Fancy that.

I think to make a call on that you should use at least three of each type of hive. What if one of the packages is just slower than the other. What if that was the case, and you put the slow one in the hive with a solid bottom board. Then you would think that a screen bottom board does better. If you had six hives, three of each, and one group was doing better than the other group, then you could say that one bottom board is better than the other.

Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I did the same thing when I started with the same observations. I now put new packages on full bottom boards and later move them to screened in the summer. I think they will catch up.

It wasn't really an experiment just my last two bottom boards. I agree it could just be two different hives,queens,etc. but it makes since that the spring build up would be slower with fewer bees and a cooler hive. I think in the future I will use a solid bottom through the spring and into the heat of summer.

Marshall, I guess I got it lucky where I live, It hardly ever gets much lower than 40 or 50 degree. I got mine on screens and they seem to do fine, but I have never put any on solid boards, so I have nothing to compare them to.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks