Thread: Queen advice

Default Queen advice

I was inspecting one of my hives today and found an emerging Queen from a swarm cell. there were several on the bottom of the frames so I caged her... my question is what do I do with her. I have not tried queen rearing, although I have read alot about it. Is she a lost cause? Can i raise her? I have 2 very strong hives so I could easily put together a nuc...

Default Re: Queen advice

Try her in a nuc. I've never done it that way so I might be giving bad advice, but you never know. I normally take a couple of the swarm cells and start a nuc that way.

Virgins need proper feeding via sugar candy, royal jelly, etc right away. I am not large queen breeder, but if you caged her as se came out of the cell and the cage had no fresh sugar candy etc, i am not sure how long she will live and if she did if she would be productive.

With swarm cells in the hive hatching the hive had already swarmed, thus it didnt have a queen... so i hope you left the others alone so they can hatch... otherwise the hive will be doomed if you cut them out... as they wont have a queen...

i wouldnt put much hope in a virgin that wasnt fed right...

If your looking at starting a new nuc or something and you dont want to let them make their own etc, i would look at purchasing a mated queen from someone like Broke-T on here. I just recieved 30 queens from him. Excellant customer service and prompt service as well. I was very pleased... of course i still have yet to see how they preform, but he has a good rep and if he tends to his bees like he tends to his customers they queens will be excellant!

Well I was going to requeen this hive due to the queens performance issues , she has a terrible laying pattern, slow start this year. So with that said I will get a local Queen and hope they accept her...allready swarmed? This hive is full of bees. Boiling out when you pull a frame. The old queen is marked and she is in the hive... am i missing something.

You said the virgin was emerging from a swarm cell...

So this was not swarm cells they were supercedure cells if the old queen is still in the hive when the queen is hatching...

So they knew something was wrong with the old queen...

place a frame of hatching brood from the same hive in a nuc.with 2 frames of honey wait 5 min or so till all older bees leave then place her in the nuc so she can go on her mating flights.

Ill give it a try Frank. There were no supercedure cells on the comb, these all came from the bottom of the frame hanging in typical swarm cell fashion. But I did notice there was not much brood and I didn't see any eggs or larva, just speratic capped drone here and there, which makes me wonder if they were emergency cells on the bottom frames... I don't know. I didn't know they were fed special food and more royal jelly after they emerged... learned something new. thanks