Default Where do you think you are going?

Came home Tuesday evening to find a swarm in my tree at home. Upon further checking, it was the swarm that I caught at home on Sunday that apparently wasn't happy with their new home. So I caught them in a bucket and dumped them back into their hive. I added a 2nd hive body on, so they feel like they have lots of room.

I went and picked up the swarm lastnight that I had caught Tuesday morning. I have expected if any were going to abscond, it would be them - it was a good sized swarm and they are in a single deep with about 6 frames - I just more frames in the mail yesterday. But sure enough, they were in there, so they came home to their new spot in the bee yard.

Tonight I'll make up a 2nd hive for them and get all of their frames and foundation in for them.

Default Re: Where do you think you are going?

Hmmmmm. I guess I should have titled this thread "Going, going, and gone."

Came home today and noticed all of my other hives had activity, even the swarms from Tuesday - but I didn't see anything coming from or going in this swarm's hive. Opened it up - and it's empty. Even adding the 2nd hive body on, didn't keep them here.

Oh well, helping the local wild bee population now!

Default Re: Where do you think you are going?

If you have other hives just drop a frame of brood from them into a swarm hive. Works wonders on getting them to believe they have a new home.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A