Default Warre Hive - package installation

I am getting ready to install my first package this week and I need some input.

I was planning on setting up two warre hive bodies- taking the bars (or most of the bars) off the top box, then placing the queen cage on top of the bars of the bottom box. then dumping the bees on top of the queen cage, replacing the bars on the top box, and then setting the quilt and roof back on the hive.

I have seen some videos where people dump the bees in an upside down box, then flip them over. My bars are easily removable, so is my method okay?

thanks!

Default Re: Warre Hive - package installation

I like most of your method, except I think it might work better to just place the queen cage on the bottom of the hive...the bees can still get to her, and that way they're the least likely to build crazy comb around her cage....other than that, sounds great (P.S. if you look through the Warre Hive Forum, HoneyintheRox posted a vid. of her first Warre install)

The problem with a queen cage on the bottom is cold weather can cause them to cluster above and abandon her. If you don't get any cold weather it might work fine, but if you do get cold weather she can end up dead. Maybe in VA you're past that...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks for the input. Michael - good idea - I hadn't thought about the temperatures. I should be installing in temperatures ranging from lows of 55 - to highs of 77.

Here what I did and i live in Wisconsin.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11158...18000927130193