Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: New Nukes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hartford, South Dakota
    Posts
    6

    Default New Nukes

    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum, and new to beekeeping. I just bought 24 nucs and set them up Monday. Here is a picture of one of the frames in the middle. Don't know much about bees yet, but looks like this frame is full of brood.

    The other picture is an extractor I am thinking about buying. The guy selling it thinks the brand name is Lifetime 8 frame. You can turn the frames around as the extractor is spinning. Has anyone ever seen anything like it? I will get a better picture this weekend.
    Thanks
    Denny


    Last edited by flopearedmule; 05-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baytown, TX., USA.
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: New Nukes

    That looks like eight frames in a 10 frame box with a lot of burr comb in the 9, 10 , slots.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Tazewell, Virginia
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: New Nukes

    julysun hit the nail on the head clean that burr out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    2,492

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Brood pattern looks great though.

    Clean up the burr comb and get two new frames in that empty space. It's better for the bees, and for the beekeeper.

    Never seen an 8-frame nucleus hive before, they are usually 5 or 4 frames in a narrow box.

    Peter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arlee MT USA
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: New Nukes

    I just bought 24 nukes and set them up Monday
    Don't let the ATF find out.



    Sorry...couldn't resist.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Ha ha ha ha!!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Spicewood, TX, USA
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Wow! Starting off with 24 nucs? I increased to 12 this year and I am questioning my sanity. Hope your retired or have some help. Very nice looking brood.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington County, Maine
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: New Nukes

    The extractor brand is one I've not heard of before and I can't see much in the picture. What's the extractor made of? Things to check include the soundness of where the cage is seated - the bearings - does the extractor turn easily? Is it hand cranked or power? I have no idea what all those cogs are for. Maybe someone else can steer you better on the extractor. do some searching on the net and see if you can learn when it was manufactured and what has happened to the manufacturer. Are parts available if you need them?

    24 nucs is a bunch to start with - Maybe a South Dakota beekeeper or someone will local knowledge can give an estimate of how much honey you should expect to get from nucs the first year. You may not even need an extractor.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,086

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Quote Originally Posted by flopearedmule View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum, and new to beekeeping.
    Okay, since you are new to beekeeping, please let me tell you about "nukes" and "nucs". The beekeeping term "nuc" is beekeeping shorthand for nucleus colony. Whereas "nuke" is a popular term for atomic bombs.

    Welcome to beekeeping. Nice pics. Nice looking brood.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Peace River, AB Canada
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Before you clean the burr comb out of the frame feeder make sure to locate the queen in the hive as she will sometimes go into the feeder to lay.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hartford, South Dakota
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Thanks for clearing that up sqkcrk....I was so excited that I finally figured out how to post pictures that I didn't even think about the spelling. I tried to edit it, but I can't edit the subject line.


    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Okay, since you are new to beekeeping, please let me tell you about "nukes" and "nucs". The beekeeping term "nuc" is beekeeping shorthand for nucleus colony. Whereas "nuke" is a popular term for atomic bombs.

    Welcome to beekeeping. Nice pics. Nice looking brood.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,086

    Default Re: New Nukes

    That's okay flopeared. I hope I came across more educational than corrective.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hartford, South Dakota
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: New Nukes

    OK, the beekeeper that I bought these NUCS from said to leave the burr comb in the feeder so the bees don't drown when they are feeding?? This beekeeper runs over 2,200 hives and all of them only have 8 frames and a feeder in them?? I would love to hear every ones opinion on adding one more frame. I can only fit one more frame with the feeder still in the box.


    Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    Brood pattern looks great though.

    Clean up the burr comb and get two new frames in that empty space. It's better for the bees, and for the beekeeper.

    Never seen an 8-frame nucleus hive before, they are usually 5 or 4 frames in a narrow box.

    Peter

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Peoria, IL
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: New Nukes

    nice brood pattern there. I started this year with 2 hives, caught 2 swarms, and am taking two hives off a guy that found out the hard way he's allergic. I think I'm in over my head already. I couldn't imagine managing 24 with everything else I have going on with gardening, work, kids, etc.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,086

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Quote Originally Posted by flopearedmule View Post
    OK, the beekeeper that I bought these NUCS from said to leave the burr comb in the feeder so the bees don't drown when they are feeding?? This beekeeper runs over 2,200 hives and all of them only have 8 frames and a feeder in them?? I would love to hear every ones opinion on adding one more frame. I can only fit one more frame with the feeder still in the box.
    Fred must have not noticed what I didn't notice my first look. That burrcomb is in a feeder. I'd leave it alone too, as your supplier recommended. And I wouldn't try to squeeze another frame in there either. I'm going to 8 frames and a feeder too.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hartford, South Dakota
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Andrew,
    The cogs are gears. When the extractor is spinning and flinging honey out of one side of the frame, you can turn the frames around while it is still spinning and let the honey out the other side of the frame. You don't have to stop the machine and turn the frames manually. It turns them automatic.


    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    The extractor brand is one I've not heard of before and I can't see much in the picture. What's the extractor made of? Things to check include the soundness of where the cage is seated - the bearings - does the extractor turn easily? Is it hand cranked or power? I have no idea what all those cogs are for. Maybe someone else can steer you better on the extractor. do some searching on the net and see if you can learn when it was manufactured and what has happened to the manufacturer. Are parts available if you need them?

    24 nucs is a bunch to start with - Maybe a South Dakota beekeeper or someone will local knowledge can give an estimate of how much honey you should expect to get from nucs the first year. You may not even need an extractor.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    2,492

    Default Re: New Nukes

    Thought something looked odd there!

    If you are feeding, leave it there, but put your next hive body underneath. If you are not feeding, and the bees don't look like they need feeding, I'd replace it with frames instead of leaving it in the hive to fill up with trash over the summer. If you want to leave the space for putting it back in later, make a box with masonite or something to take up the space while maintaining bee space. At least cover it, otherwise you will be cleaning out 24 frame feeders come fall.

    Those hives will double or triple in population when that brood emerges, make sure you have enough room on each hive when they do!

    Peter

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    4,139

    Default Re: New Nukes

    If the other frames are even close to as good as the one you're holding up, its the best nuc I've ever seen.
    You could have been charged 8 frame single hive price for that.
    Dan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads