Smile What is it called...?

I'm sure I've read about this somewhere, but I can't remember the terminology in order to locate any information on it now.

Basically, you have your brood box. It gets filled/is getting filled. Instead of adding another brood box on top, you add it beneath. I remember reading something about this not forcing the queen to cross the honey cap. Then, when the first, now top, box has been backfilled with honey, another box can be added below and the top harvested. (Or something like this...) Or even a shallow super can be added above and this will end up being just stores because the queen will work downward rather than up...

FreyaFL

Default Re: What is it called...?

Bottom supering??
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

The term is Nadiring. It is how Warré Hives are kept.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeophyte View Post
    The term is Nadiring. It is how Warré Hives are kept.
    Ah! Thank you! I had thought it had something to do with Warre Hives, but when I looked through the various sites, it seemed that everything was about frames and such. I use Langs and am thinking about switching to all mediums and thought this might be a painless way to do so, as well as a means of swarm prevention...maybe...thus wanting to read up on it.

Now, off to do more reading!

Many websites have Warrés book Beekeeping For All freely downloadable. I can't imagine a better book on the subject. I keep warré's and Langs but my methods for both are based largely on Warré's ideas. So far it's worked out fine.

8 frame mediums are a pretty good faxsimile of a Warré I think you will do just fine.

Why would you want to harvest honey out of cells that brood were raised in? I had heard that it changes the flavor of the honey.

C2

The bees move honey and brood around from time to time, regardless of where the boxes are placed. They are very fastidious cleaners of cells. It hasn't proven to be a problem, everybody loves my honey.

Of course I crush and strain so the comb never gets very old to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Why would you want to harvest honey out of cells that brood were raised in? I had heard that it changes the flavor of the honey.

C2
    Someone living in a dark damp cave fretting about dark cells! WOW Batman, so shocking. I was just kidding.
    Last edited by Nantom670; 05-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.

I believe an addition to the bottom of a skep, to increase the nest size, is called an eake?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

C2
    Interesting! I never ever thought of this before. Some of the all-time best honey I've had was from cutouts (friends did) that were in place for years. They handed me gobs of dark, broken comb and I crushed and strained it. Dark and so rich tasting... I certainly wouldn't use it for cooking/baking unless I wanted that extra flavor, but so good on toast or biscuits. Mmmm...

Still reading about nadiring...LOL

For the answer, try this:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesterms.htm#n

>Why would you want to harvest honey out of cells that brood were raised in? I had heard that it changes the flavor of the honey.

I have heard it too. I don't believe it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I love your site. I just had a memory recall error and couldn't pull that term out for anything. So much to learn!