Hybrid View

Default Adding a super as well as nadiring a new brood box

This is an info gathering question for those who know about nadiring and such as opposed to a true Warre Hive question. If I add a new brood box to my hive (nadir an empty, foundationless box below the current brood nest) and also add a shallow super (with foundation) above, how will the bees react? Would they go up first, building comb and storing honey or brood (depending on the use of a QX or not), or would they go down and build out comb on the foundationless frames for brood first? Assuming they are both in need of expansion space and there is a flow going on. I'm not going to a true Warre Hive situation, at least not yet (AHB area), but am looking at various beekeeping ways. It's all so intriguing! Thanks for any insights. FreyaFL

Default Re: Adding a super as well as nadiring a new brood box

If it was me, I would give them a top entrance. That way the bees hauling nectar. Can go straight into super,that might help promote them filling it up. A three quater inch hole would be enough. Then you can plug it with a wine cork if need arises.

That sounds reasonable. Thanks!

Your welcome Friend!

If there's a flow on they will go up first, long as there's foundation in there.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

To Oldtimer: I find your statement to be true for my one and only hive. I had 3 boxes for a little over 1 1/2 month and my bees won't build down the third (bottom box). So, as suggested by another beek, I placed a super with 2 "ladders" (a foundation nailed between halved topbars) and they built on that first. Recently, my bees have started building a (burr?) comb on the bottom box. I hope they do fill up the bottom box before winter gets here.
    IMG_3581.jpg IMG_3582.jpg
    Bottom box.............Super