Default Installed my NUC.. very very small bees

Got my NUCS, one is good the other not so much. Both nucs the bees are the smallest bees I have seen. I find this strange and wonder what the deal is. Is this cause for concern? I also think my one nuc had a supercedure cell in it. I am a bit unhappy I bought an expensive nuc and the queen appears to be bad. Is it normalto have a supercedure cell like this?

Thanks
    Dan

Default Re: Installed my NUC.. very very small bees

Did the nuc come on frames drawn from small cell foundation? That makes the bees smaller and many think it is a good thing. The bees build and tear down supercedure cells fairly often. They do it because they don't have confidence in the queen. All the moving and disruptions this nuc has experienced may have causes this. If you don't like the bees, you should probably look for another provider next year. But in my opinion, you sound like you are whining over things that don't really matter. If the queen is laying a poor pattern or starts laying drones in worker cells, go to the supplier and ask for a replacement. If not, give me your address and I will happily send you some cheese.

Small bees aren't bad... I would say thats their normal size...
    They may be on nautral or small cell comb which is good...
    how does the brood pattern look in the troubled nuc?

The brood pattern was almost non existent. Very noticable capped drone brood though. Not on small cell. That was my first thought. There are feral bees around and these bees are good bit smaller.

Whining? More of questioning. I like cheese, so send me some cash along with the cheese. Ill send you a few bees and no brood and a supercedure cell and maybe a piss poor queen.

Yea you should call your supplier and have them give you a new queen...