Default Bee hive stand legs?

So I constructed my own hive stand and attached legs made of 2' pieces of 2x4 to get it off the ground to avoid animal intrusion. I was wondering if the weight of the hive might end up being too much. I am installing two new hives and I am considering doing the same process. Let me know what think.

Default Re: Bee hive stand legs?

How did you attach the legs to the frame of the hive stand? Two double deeps with several honey supers each could easily weigh 300lbs.

I'm using a pressure treated 2 x 4, two pieces cut to 4 foot lengths and two cross braces 1 foot each. The resultant stand is intended to get the hive off of the ground (by all of 3 1/2") so that I can easily weigh it in the fall. One 10 footer = 1 hive stand.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I just screwed the legs straight to the stand. I am thinking I will have to modify it to be stronger.

I would glue and screw/bolt a 2x4 to the vertical 2x4 that is already in place. Butt this new one up to the bottom of the hive, so the hive is resting on it. The longer the new piece of 2x4, the better. If you can get it to go to the ground, that would be best. I build fish tank stands that hold way over 800 pounds this way.