Default general question???

I hope I am doing this right... this is my first time on the forum. I am brand new this season and it has been a rough start. I am using a tbh and I have gone through 2 diffrent packages that didn't take. I purchased a new queen with only about 100 bees left. A local bee keeper brought me a swarm that we put into the hive. He said to leave the caged queen as maybe it would entice the swarm to stay in the hive( so they could kill her I presume). Anyway... I have been in the hive 2 times to feed and I noticed they will not go near the caged queen. (She is still alive and a sm. amont of candy is left)They started their nest in the back away from her, I tried to move some of the bars but they moved them back the next day. The last time I went in they were balled up. Does this mean they are going to swarm again? My other quesiton is it has been cold and rainy here and I didnt want to open the hive but I'm sure they need syrup. Which is better letting the cold in or letting them get hungry? Lastly, I should remove that other queen right?

Default Re: general question???

It shouldn't be cold enough to hurt them now so I wouldn't worry about opening the hive if it is above 50 degrees. They cluster together to stay warm. I have never heard of putting 2 queens in the same hive. I would get her out of there and see if another beekeeper in your area could use her. Keep feeding. It will take them awhile to draw comb and get settled in. You should be having a flow soon which will really help them take off.

So they have a strong queen that came with the swarm correct? If that's the case, it seems she is a very dominant queen, and her bees are so loyal that they could care less about that other queen. It's a battle of pheromones at that point. If they aren't around the caged queen at all, then they aren't tending her, and she will likely starve to death. You may as well get rid of her. I'm surprise the loose queen hasn't taken the time to kill her too though. I wonder if she is still a virgin queen (the caged one) and maybe that is affecting the pheromone she puts off.

I don't think the balling means they will swarm, I think it means they are cold. If the weather is to stay cool for you, you should put in a leader board to keep the hive box smaller to retain heat from the cluster. Don't open the hive if it is rainy, and I wouldn't do it if the outside temp is below 60 degrees. If you must, be quick. I'd recommend building a ledge near the entrance so you can mount a board feeder from the outside. Here is a video on how I designed my hive to use the external feeder. Narrated by yours truly: http://youtu.be/2e9WCWBOMsA

There is a special section on the forums dedicated to TBH beekeeping. Get on there and do some reading. I'm astonished at how helpful beekeepers are. I much prefer reading these forums over the diesel truck forums. Those are just wasted with arguments about Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Thank you to both of you!! I will quit worrying that the bees are going to leave and I will just feed!