Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tbh swarmed

Default Re: tbh swarmed

Cool. Good luck! You wont get anything this year, but if you setup a couple easy to make traps you may get lucky. It is like fishing. More lines may increase your odds, but it isn't a sure bet.

well here is my top bar/lang hybrid it is really working well loads of honey.
    i added a five frame lang to the end of my top bar. moved queen in to lang
    part of hive with fully drawn frames and added a queen excluder in between
    to keep her there after they filled most of the lang i removed excluder and let her
    go were she wants she move back in to top bar part of hive and they back filled
    the lang part full of honey i have been adding bars open broods nest in the top bar.
    now i plan to extract honey from lang part of hive and move her back and add excluder.

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/ca...5c7ba.mp4.html

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/ca...d4cac.jpg.html
    Last edited by captcatfish; 05-26-2013 at 02:48 AM.

> well here is my top bar/lang hybrid it is really working well lots of honey.

Hmmm, the location of the movie and photo posted above look like the path on the computer that they reside on, but that won't work for anyone not using that specific computer.

You may be able to use the"Insert Image" icon on the message toolbar to upload your photo here, or otherwise use a photo host such as Photobucket.com and then post a link here.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

thanks Rader
    i think it works now.

Yes, those links work now.

That is an interesting TBH/Lang hybrid. I'm curious about the details of the transition from the sloped TBH sides to the vertical sides of the Lang portion. How big is the hole in the board that separates the two sections?

Hopefully you considered the potential weight of that box being completely full of brood and honey when you designed the transition details.

I say this as I had a structural problem with the leg/body interface on one of my TBHs with different leg lengths (to accommodate the slope of a hill.) I was shocked at how heavy it was when I had to fix the leg problem!

FYI, now that you have figured out Photobucket links, you might want to experiment with the link style that Photobucket calls "IMG". Try pasting that in just as you did the photo above.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-26-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: add "IMG" comment
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Rader, i cut the lang even with the inside dimension of the top bar i left 3/4 inch on top for strength on top bar and lang added a piece of draw comb
    right on the transition that comb stays in place you can not remove it. I did consider the weight on the legs my next one will have better legs.
    its really work out well I'm happy with it i have the best of both worlds and it seems like i have the swarming under control for now..
    Franky

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    I had one abscond due to the fact the follower board was placed too far back.

Why do you think they absconded due to follower board being placed too far back ? Why would that make them abscond ?
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

Some people say that having too much space will cause an abscond. Not sure if it is true, but I think that it is prudent to shut down the space somewhat.

If they swarmed it sounds like you are doing something right

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123