Default I need some advice on design for hot wether

I am in the planning stage of my journey and at
    a bit lost on the best design. My concern is hive collapse in the heat here in the desert we get 100+ through most of the summer and as low as 15 in the winter. I read about about a guy in AZ. that was using a wider shallower box for hot weather.

Default Re: I need some advice on design for hot wether

Go with white paint for the body and a gabled roof with a sealed dead space above that has vent holes.

._______
    /----------\
    ...[hive]

The bulk of the issue will be heat from the roof, so this will insulate the top bars.

Do NOT go crazy with vent holes. I see some hives look like shotgun targets. A chimney effect will defeat what the bees are doing and their own air conditioning efforts and will simply suck in hot air from outside, no matter how much they fan.

Do not work the hive on hot [UV and temp] days. Especially with a first year hive. The comb will be soft. The reason I suggest the sealed vented roof is because the issue is not so much the temps as it is the bars warming up. Radiant heating can be awful. Just stick your hand on your car hood at noon some time... Oh and work them early during the day vs noon or later.

Using a more shallow box will help, but it will indeed need to be 4' long. Mine is 19" wide and I knocked it down to 10" [was 15", I got paranoid] deep. I think 8-9" might serve you well.

Oops.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I love way up in Salt Lake City and one of my hives had fresh comb collapse from the heat. My easiest and simplest answer was to scoot my hives a little closer together, stack a couple of bricks on top to create a breezeway and then put a big old piece of laminate board on top of that. I have it weighted down with a log to keep it from blowing off in a strong wind. The bees are happy because they still get the sun on the hives in the morning, but not the strong rays in the middle of the day.

In addition to the above posts, maybe use follower boards on the sides to help give some air space between combs and the hive box sides.