Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dadant wooden nuc feeder

12K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  sfisher 
#1 ·
Has anybody used one of these, Dadant Woodwn Nuc Feeder #MO 1452. Just wondering if I could get a review, before I purchased some.

Thanks Steve

#2 ·
Not the nuc feeder, but I do have the 8 frame feeder. Same thing. The ones I've purchased last year are great. No leaks. The bees may build burr wax in the channel up, but it can be removed with the hive tool. No big issue. The feeders I've purchased this year were not as good. Lots of leaking, so I will have to reseal all of them.

#6 ·
I have a couple of those, and they are my last choice. The plastic edge leaves a gap that is too wide. I would cancel the order and get them from Millers. Buy some commercial boxes if you need any. They are well priced and they're just fine...

#8 ·
I haven't placed a box on top of the plastic feeder but I doubt if the weight will press the edge of the feeder flat enough to discourage bees from trying to enter...

I was suggesting that if you bought the feeder from Miller's, you could also try out their commercial boxes if you needed any. For me, they're a good buy.

#14 ·
I'm disappointed with my hive top feeder from Brushy mnt. I bought two complete nucs, with two feeders, and two extra nuc supers. To go ontop of the feeder, to create a better seal, like the directions say you can on their website. It does say that you dont have to, but it does say that it has the exact same features as the bigger feeder and the bigger feeder says that you can, to create a better seal. The problem is is that the feeder measures 18 7/8" and the inside of the super measures 18 5/16". I would like to ask Brushy mnt how they fit a super over that.
Astro do yours measure that, have they changed, or do you have a different size nuc?

#17 ·
I do not like the feeders from brushy mt and just posted a review on their site to that effect. As Beecurious mentioned The problem is that they say that the telescoping cover is enough to seal the plastic rim and it is not so a lot of bees drown. The only way to get them to work is to either place an empty box on top or build a shim. I bought these to avoid a box on top because I didnt want to waste boxes on this task--if I were to put A box on top the best way to feed is with an inverted jar with holes popped in the lid over the inner cover hole-and this feeder is FREE!
Here is the feeder I am talking about Wood Tray Rectangle Furniture Box

#19 ·
sfisher I dont know when you posted your review I did mine this weekend A small note on the bottom of the page said "reviews are processed and posted on weekdays" So I will give them a week to see if it posts. Dadant stopped carrying these feeders all together and put them on clearance which says alot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.