Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Africanized Bees - ABJ News Article

Captainfester,
    You seem to have some experience w/ ships and shipping. It is my understanding that ships laden with steel pipe have at times had Africanized Honeybee swarms in those pipes. Is it possible that these pipes would have been transported on deck? This is what I was led to believe happened.

At one time, while working as an Apiary Inspector, I was charged w/ setting up swarm traps near the Eisenhower Locks on the St. Lawrence Seaway so as to attempt to determine whether any AHBs came off of ocean going vessels traveling upstream on the Seaway towards the Great Lakes. I never found any bees in these traps, in case anyone wondered.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

steels would be possible although they are generally stored indoors as rusty steel is bad steel <- not that it would stop bees i suppose. Scrap is loaded so violently that nothing would survive but the real issue would be to figure out where steels would come from that have Africanized colonies.

cant say that i am too familiar with AB around the world, but ships i know well.

All references to AHB traveling abour ship in PIPE pertain to ships traveling across the Gulf of Mexico from Mexico, Central america or originating in South America where AHBs are widespread. No one has suggested that they are traveling across the Atlantic Ocean, as far as I know.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

According to the State of Mississippi, there has never been a AHB hive found in the state. But then again, NEVER TRUST THE GOVERNMENT! Especially the FEDS.

You think it's hard to figure out how Africanized genes got spread all over the US? Assuming they are not from people are trucking them and buying them from Texas... there is the USDA's work:
    http://www.beesource.com/point-of-vi...al-background/

Note this African stock (what Kerr then called adonsonii but later was called scutelata) came from Dr. Kerr and is the same stock that was used in what we now call AHB. See the section "Period: April 1 – Jun 30, 1960"
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF