Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

cool weather, moisture and some dead bees?

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  AkDan 
#1 ·
I checked today just a few minutes ago and noticed a handful of dead bees on the landing pad. Opened the windows up and noticed some moisture in the hive on the glass?

Last night I wanted to move the pollen paddi from the number 2 bar to the 1 bar (closer to the entrance), as one ball of bees has the pollen patti half engulfed in the colony. Firt hive had no bees on bar one and very few on the patti...swap went quick. Second half covered hive not so much. Bar one had a small piece of comb started so I replaced it and covered things back up.

2 nights ago we had 28-30 degree temps on my way in to work warming up to 60 for a high. I dont know about last night but it's cool right now, maybe high 40's low 50's.

I'm afraid if I vent the hive I'll cool them off too much. Do I need to worry about the moisture? how do I remove it?

I fed 2 days ago, warm 1-1 sugar syrup, both hives are about 3/4 quart low right now.

#2 · (Edited)
think it could be from the higher dew point? Seems to be a bit high lately. When I picked up my bees....we were talking about the cooler nights. I havent moved my follower board yet, they were hived a week ago now. Still cant visually see comb, just a cluster of bees. Thought about a chicken light with maybe a 20watt bulb behind the feeder to keep things warmer? I havent tried it yet, is this a bad idea? Would the added warmth at night help out with moisture? Or just leave it be? Also thought about wrapping the hives in the evenings with a small blanket or a sleeping bag to help keep my temps up? Other than trying to switch the first two bars in each hive I havent been in the hive other than to feed. Kinda worried about moisture.

At what point do I go into the hive and look for brood? another week?

#3 ·
went out to fill feeders today. They were both down 2 quarts in a couple day period. I'm thinking the moisture was more due to me feeding warm syrup (I use hot water though my water isnt the hottest out of the facet).

I did notice a LOT of activity and pollen coming in. I still cant see comb though atleast in one hive I know its there. Other than feeding and the one day swapping the bar with the pattis' (and trying in the 2nd hive), I havent gone into the hive directly.

Really concerned one feeder is leaking. Made a mess today. I'm not sure if its pooring thorugh the screen mesh and walking to the edge and down or leaking outright. I didnt want to remove the feeder as this is the hive they are butted up to it on. I may put to use my boardmans now that things are a little more active and see if I cant get these frame feeders up to snuff. I am mixing 2.5 quarts of water to 2.5 quarts of sugar. Not sure anymore if this is one to one or closer to 2 to 1 after doing some reading. They seem to be taking it well regardless.

#4 ·
That is 1 to 1. I would not think if the moisture is just on the window that it will hurt anything because its not dripping down on the bees and I believe that is what would kill them. I cannot imagine living at the North Pole. Cannot advise on keeping bees there or methods either. Someone hopefully will give you better advise. You don't have to be concerned with SHB so do you keep yours in partial shade like a building or shed open to the sun. Its no where near as cold here where I live but I keep mine right under an overhang attached to my barn. I love it, no rain, no hot sun on me and I can watch them anytime I want to. Here are a few pictures of my Langstroths on my photobucket page--------
http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb369/nantom670/?action=view&current=IMG_0732.jpg

#5 ·
I have a really good buddy in Bon Aqua...he doesnt keep bees though. I might be down that way next spring believe it or not!

They have no comb yet....I thought maybe the moisture chilled a few of them enough to kill them...we had a couple nights at or below freezing the last few nights. I let my syrup cool off to room temp today before putting it in so minus the mess...hopefully the one hive is ok.

I have 2 hives they are in a stand of poplar with a few cedar trees around them to help with the long sun. I dont know about over wintering yet....still trying to figure that one out. I may move them inside, I think this year it might be my only option. My Landlord really likes the idea to the point he might over winter them in HIS garage LOL! YAY!

Great pics! I'll get a few up of mine tomorrow..heading to work right now. That viewing hive looks pretty sweet! I just saw one in the 'bee keeping for dummies' book. Trying not to get over my head yet ;).

#6 ·
Langstroth said he knew some people who kept their hives in a shed during the winter and he said that 40-45 degrees was the ideal temperature to keep bees at for the winter months. I read that in his book, the Hive and the Honey Bees which you can download free off the internet at this site: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24583
What are the odds that you living in North Pole, Alaska would know somebody living in the town I live in Bon Aqua, Tn? Tell him next time you talk to him, you posted with someone that lives off Locust Creek Road and I am sure he will know probably where it is. Our county is 540 square miles, 10 square miles larger than Nashville, but we only have 22,000 people in the whole county. We have three red lights in the whole county and two of them have just been added around the town square in Centerville. Do many people use the TBH up there? Seems like the Langstroth would be better for that cold weather, or even the Warre. I would imagine until the weather gets up over 50 your bees will probably be staying in the hive, want they? Have a good day.

#7 ·
I've been reading the western canadian book. They also talk about a building dedicated to overwintering. I've got a few weeks before snow sets in again ;).

It really makes you wonder how they do things in russia successfully with limited resources???

Thanks for the book link! I'll be printing that off tonight!

I took a couple pics today, I'll try and get them uploaded tonight or tomorrow. My hives are nothing fancy, 2 golden mean hives, foam insulation on 3 sides and under the lid...and now a cheapo sleeping bag covering each hive. Today things were pretty fun to watch before work. They are still crawling all over when I got home this evening, I did notice the one hive fanning going on in one hive tonight. And in both hives I can see 3 seperate combs this evening looking through the inspection window with a flashlight (yup I cant not look LOL) Kinda worried the one hive might be a tad bit aggressive...they were quick to jump anything landing on the landing pad and had a mob of bees waiting at the entrance. The other hive was much more laid back. Its the one that I'm worried about having a slow queen. Maybe' they're just taking things cool ;).

As for alaska and TBH's I know the fella I bought bees from had an article on it and he does do it, though I wonder how much. He has 2, 3-4' hives I'd guess kenyan? Everything else is lanstroths. I dont know any other beek's in the area yet. I am not familiar with warre hives. I am thinking I may build some foundationless hives this winter and give a couple more a go next summer. I have a farmer with a section of land who gave me the green light for bees. Problem is it's 90 miles away and there is definatly bears around and no one actually lives on the land so very little human influence to keep them away.

I'm brand spanking new to bees of any kind. I came acrossed his article and the golden mean plans popped up on a quick search for tbh plans. It looked nice so I built it. Honestly I havent even turned green I'm so new to this lol. No class's, lots of reading and lots of questions. So far I haven't killed them yet :). Weather's supposed to be nice the next few days, debaiting wether or not its time to move my follower board with the warmth and remove the sleeping blankets..

overall they've been pretty quiet. Actually one hive has been really quiet. The other hive has been noticably more active. The laid back hive is the one thats parked on the pollen patti but doesnt seem to be really taking it for some reason. They had hive on bar 1...bar two has the pollen patti on it, the next few bars are engulfed in bees and I'm just seeing comb. I'll give it a few more days before I go in and remove that patti and get it out of their way. Hive 2 is situated farther back closer to the feeder...so the patti is free and they've really gone to town on it. They are however overflowing onto the screen in my follower board feeder. The first time I opened things up to feed I had bees everywhere. Its why I put on the window screen over the top of the follower board to keep things a little more calm when I'm filling things up. Until today we've barely been getting to the high 50's for a high and somewhere between freezing and 40 for a low...kinda rainy and windy overall and really nice evenings.

At what point should I go in and check my bars out to see if my queens laying? The 3 combs I can barely see through the ball of bees is half or so width wise..no telling how far down they've drawn things. I was thinking of letting the nice weather this weekend go on and see how things go, continue feeding for now and leave them bee. That one pollen patti has me concerned they are building comb on it or atleast right smack behind it on the same bar. I may try and get that one out without making to much disturbance in the hive. I dont want to have to try and pick out a plastic ziplock out of a bar of comb LOL. I did notice they stopped flying as much when I was feeding today. I had to remove the sleeping bags to get the lids off to fill my feeders. I'm sure dropping the hive temp. It was definatly cool watching them scoot out over the house, woods was full of them.

I'll holler at my buddy this weekend. He's a good bowhunting buddy of mine. Thinking of doing a spring walleye/sauger and turkey trip with him next year...if not the year after for sure. I made the mistake of heading south this year when the bees arrived. Thankfully the last shipment came in 2 days before I got home and he was willing to feed for me. Gotta make some adjustments next year if I have to buy bees again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.