Question cutout under way... need HELP!!

I have started a tree cutout, I have a bee vac built but it kills too many bees for my liking...

My problem is I have been taking them out frame by frame... and they are WAY more bees in the tree than I had thought..

http://s1239.photobucket.com/albums/...e%20cut%20out/

do I need to just take it slow and keep pulling bees and shaking them into boxes... or just man up and go digging in and take a few stings??

Other thoughts or ideas are VERY welcome

Default Re: cutout under way... need HELP!!

Your pics giv eme the impression that you are not cutting out the brood comb and securing it into empty frames (using rubber bands or sting).
    It looks like you are holding a frame of foundation up to the cut in the tree.

As to killing bees with your vac, keep the suction as low as you are able to while still pulling bees up the hose.
    I you can pull them off of the comb with suction only, without dislodging them with the hose end, it's too much.
    Also, keep your hose run as short and straight as you can.

Hit up the page for jtthebeeman on Youtube for a LOT of cutout vids.

Make sure your knife is sharp. A serrated blade is handy on old had dark comb (it can be tough stuff).

Take your time.

Yes, to lower the population, I was putting drawn comb with honey in it.. Now I have cut the lower part off and fixing to bust it wide open to get to the comb inside.. this tree is the biggest I have ever seen as far as bee population!

In the pic below, the comb runs from the cut to the bucket.. had 2 entrances to the same hive but I stopped up the lower entrance with mud when I moved it.
    http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...ountry/003.jpg

I have 9 shallow frames of bees already in a box.. now comes the real work lol

If I were doing that cutout, I would go to the end of the log and cut about one foot sections until i reached the comb. Then cut the log lengthwise. Roll it over and cut it lengthwise again. Only insert the bar of the saw into the tree as deep as the wood is. The log will fall open into two pieces like a canoe, or a watermelon. Then cut the comb with brood on it and tie into frames. Shake bees from combs into box. Remove all comb, pieces of the tree etc, Move the bees you have. Leave a hive with a good piece of brood comb, and some frames in it, and any you leave behind will go into that box. Combine them later with the others. Make sure you remove all honey and pieces of comb, or the bees will congregate on them. Once you cut the tree open, the bees will gorge themselves on honey, and will be easy to work with.

cchoganjr

Yep. What Cleo said. You have to cut the tree open and start moving the brood comb. Look for the queen while you are doing this. If you find her cage and move her to the new hive while you finish cutting the rest of the brood comb and fastening it to frames. This one should be a piece of cake.
    "Mmmmm...... I love the smell of Foundation in the morning."

No need to cut it out at all..... I would cut the bottom off square and stand the log up... then do as cleo said and cut the top of the log a little at a time until you reach the top of the colony... Then stack your hive boxes on top.

Last one I did like this I smoked the bees upwards and cut about a foot off of the bottom. Did this about once a week until they were all crowded into the hive bodies.

I used to have a picture, but can't find it now.