Default Newbee bee vac question.

I am going to a friends house to cut out bees from the bottom of a covered porch. I plan on making a bee vac now that I have an excuse to make one. I understand the the function of the bee vac as related to the suction amount. My question is, IF I vac most of the bees In the morning, place the comb/brood in empty frames with rubber bands, hopefully spot the queen an confine her, what to do with the bees in the vac.

1. Just dump them in the hive with brood and queen? Then wait for them to calm, add the screen door to the hive and bring home? Come back at dark to vac up the remainder bees. Or:

2. Dump them in. Wait a day or two then bring hive home in the early morning. Or:

3. Take the vac box with bees still in the box home along with the brood/comb in a separate hive. Then once home dump bees in hive. This is a 1.25 hour drive. Will this time frame with no bees on the brood kill the brood?

Thank you very much!

I can't wait to give it a try.

Default Re: Newbee bee vac question.

When we do our cutouts we always remove as much of the comb with adhering bees as we can, and band them into frames. I would never take a chance vacuuming up a queen, as you may kill her. Once we locate the queen (not always) then I feel a little better about vacuuming up a few remaing bees. In short I don't like using a vacuum unless totally necessary. Cut them out and leave them at that location for a couple days if you can. If you are able to relocate the queen she might not start to lay for over a week or so. Be patient.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Thank you very much sir!

With my new & improved vac (first one was an absolute failure, lol), I generally just vac up all the bees I possibly can, including the queen. Once I have the vast majority of the bees in the vac, I splice the brood comb into frames, then vac up any ramaining bees that I can. Once that's done, I open the vac, spritz the bees well with 1:1 syrup, and install the spliced frames into the vac. That way everyone's together as one big, happy family again, and I've found that the bees will generally stay in the vac pretty well while I'm installing the spliced frames, as long as I give them a few minutes to settle down before opening it (and obviously, having the queen inside helps tremendously).
    This page has some instructions & pics on the build of the vac box itself. Materials needed are 1 32"x48" 1/3sheet of 3/8" plywood, 9'-10' of 2"x4", 1 20' 2.5" I.D. "Water Transfer" hose (available at TSC, completely smooth inside & out so it doesn't damage the bees), and about 1sqft of fiberglass/vinyl window screen (well, and a shop-vac for powering the whole thing, of course).
    If you don't feel like putting in the effort to build my style of top-bars, you can just use Lang. frames in the box, but cut off the end bars within 2" of the top bars so they're still there for spacing, but won't kill your bees while the vacuum is running.

Hope it helps