Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Not drawing new comb...???

lissa,
    You can't hurry them up.

The overwintered colony does not have wax making capability until after the swarming season. Oriented to swarm in the early season, they develope wax makers to leave with the swarm, and then build a new corps of wax makers for main flow.

Your main flow should be essentially over by now, and they didn't get started. That is anomalous, but you are not likely to beat them at their own game. My guess is that they are treating their deep as the full cavity size and do not recognize the added deep as space to expand. Maybe fringe genetics. There are always some colonies that operate outside the norm.

Suggest you requeen.
    Walt

Walt,
    Thank you! What you said makes more sense to me as to what is going on in this hive. This hive swarmed on Easter so I thought they would build back up after that. You are right...they do not recognize the second deep as space to expand.

Is it too late in the season to requeen? Do you suggest I requeen even though there is a queen cell in the hive right now? And the queen I have is laying a lot of eggs...a lot.

Keep in mind that queen genetics are handed down from one generation to the next. The supersedure cell will produce a colony much like the existing. It's your call. You can take that chance, if you choose.

You can requeen at any time of year. Successful requeening is reported to be easier during a flow, but again, that's your call. I have very little experience with requeening by different techniques, and am not in a position to judge the best way.
    Walt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12