Default Got my package today...

As a brand new beekeeper, I am so excited about getting my bees today that I just wanted to share my experience with you all!!

Got an early call from the post office this morning saying my bees were waiting for me I hurried over to pick them up and they looked to be in great condition with only a hundred or so dead on the bottom of the package. I had to go to work, so I took them home and gave them a little spritz of sugar syrup on the screen which they readily began taking up. I was very hard to keep from calling off work!! Got home around 4pm and set about hauling my gear out back to the bee yard. My mom, sister, brother, my kids all came to observe, take a few pics and check out what I was up too. Set up my hive in the location I had prepared and got ready to open up the package. I felt very confident that I could handle the job of hiving the package as I have read up, watched videos, and had a little "hands on" experience already thanks to the Beginning Beekeepers class I have been attending with the NWIBA. I opened the cover on the package and removed the syrup can using the magnet trick my teacher Ed showed me It worked like a charm! A few bees escaped during the process of removing the can & the queen cage. They were not at all agressive and I can only assume they were happy to be out because a few of them pooped on me when they began to fly around, haha! My Queen and her Attendants were alive and well in the cage, so I removed the cork which had candy behind it, and hung the cage in between 2 frames. Then I placed the open package into the hive and closed it up. I used the remaining syrup from the can in the package to fill up a pint jar for my entrance feeder & put it on. Some of the bees immediately began to perform orientation & cleansing flights. I am so happy and proud that I did this unassisted and with only my helmet & veil. My bees seemed happy and calm during the process. Tomorrow, after work, I will remove the package from the hive and replace the missing frames. I went out around 11pm just to get a visual on the hive because i was worried the entrance feeder might be distrubed by raccoons (silly I know). Well, it was just fine and half empty!! I will check it in the morning before work & put a fresh jar of syrup on if needed.

This was a day i will never forget! A big Thank You to all who participate here, and to the NWIBA! All the info provided here and from fellow Beekeepers is priceless...

Default Re: Got my package today...

Congratulations,

Quite the rush isn't it.

If you can put the syrup on top somehow the house bees can reach it easier and it will be safer from robbers and pests.

If you have an empty super set the boardman feeder on top of the frames or the inner cover and surround with the box and put the lid on. This is just short term so won't cause burr comb or propolis problems.

Goodluck
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way

Thanks for the tip, WPG!

If you have a quart feeder it would be better and also I use a gallon bag feeder and do not disturb them after you see the queen is released for about a week. I know.." no peeking would be difficult"but try

You go girl !!
    Congrats Jill
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

You've got a great support group there with the NWIBA. One of these years I'm going to drive up just to see all the honey & beeswax entries in your county fair. I don't know of any other county in Indiana that has anything close.

Warning!!!!!!!!! You are now addicted!

One of these years I'm going to drive up just to see all the honey & beeswax entries in your county fair.
    Come on up and spend the day with us we can talk bees all day
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Yes, it is quite the rush, and you're surrounded right now by kindred spirits who share your happy addiction.

Now, in a few days, briefly go in to check the queen-cage and to remove it. Watch the feeding but don't assume that a new hive in good weather conditions will actually require much "feeding" at all. (We put a quantity of dry sugar at the bottom of hives, lightly dampened, one time and that was it.) The bees should immediately set out "doing what bees do" and you will frankly be amazed at just how well they do it. (And, how fast!)

Then... leave them alone for a month. This is when they'll be building comb, laying up stores of nectar and pollen, and starting the first crop of brood. Their numbers will gradually decline until that brood starts to "come on-line." Observe the hive so that you can see what seems to be normal for them, and ... enjoy. But, "from a little distance." In the coming weeks, the colony will transition to fully self-sustaining mode.

When I got home from work today, I noticed the bees had taken ALL 16oz of syrup that was on the feeder! So I filled it back up I needed to remove the package they came in from inside the hive, so I opened up the cover and all the bees had moved onto the frames. Removed the package and replaced frames (now there are 9). I pulled the queen cage to check it since I was in there and the girls are working through the candy nicely. I also noticed something else when I took the top cover off... on the inside of the top cover some bees were chasing around a little black beetle!!! I assumed this was the dreaded SHB so I promptly squished that sucker with my hive tool. I know that SHB is something that you kind of have to expect, but my heart just sank when I saw it I felt bad that it had been only 24 hours since my bees moved in to their new home and there were already unwanted guests. So the battle is on already I guess, lol.

I'm not sure about Indiana, but SHB does not survive in the Northern areas. Check with other local beekeepers to determine what their experience has been with Beetles. The beetle came with the package. They are very common in the package producing regions.

> "I assumed this was the dreaded SHB but my heart just sank when I saw it

No need to do that. A book I have publ. in 1961 says there are over 600,000 species of beetles. Check out info and photos about SHB on web first. > http://www.extension.org/pages/63188...ive-beetle-ipm

I have seen small beetles in and around my hives sometimes but so far they haven't been SHB.

When you install a package, can you start 2 deep supers right away or do you have to wait to put the second one on?

You can but it is not considered a best practice. Best to let them fill the first one 80% or so before adding the second.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Thanks Nasalsponge I will Do That Then.

My bees came today via UPS I was a little nervous at first as this was my first time. All I can say is that it was awesome and went great. I took nasasponges advice and only used the 1 deep super. I was amazed at how calm my bees were. I ordered them from Rossman Apiaries and had very FEW dead ones lik maybee 15 or so. I had bought the Ultra Breeze bee suit back in February and have been waiting to try it out.

Thank you Rossman Apiaries & Ultra Breeze Your bees were very healthy and I didn't get stung once and installed 3 packages.

very interesting creatures