Default When to add honey super?

Hey im a new beek and wanted to know when and if i can add a honey super. I have them in the end of april and just added the second deep brood box yesterday because 9 frames were fully drawn. When can i put in the medium honey super, do i wait until its all pulled out or should i not add my first year. Also if i do add how much honey could i get this year?

Default Re: When to add honey super?

According to the class I took and various books I've read, wait until about 80% of that new deep is drawn before adding the super.

My goal for this first year is just to get them to draw out as much comb as they can. If they do really well this summer and if I am lucky, I will stop feeding syrup when the fall flow comes along. I wouldn't count on any honey the first year, as getting the colony up to strength and ready for winter should be the first goal. If that fall flow is really good and I get a super of honey, I'll be thrilled.

We were out putting on honey supers this weekend and we're feeling really good about it.
    7188918518_0e1c554de0.jpg
    Up here in ontario canada we have a shorter season as you can imagine and to be outside in the beeyards supering up the hives in the middle of May is quite extraordinary. But of course when you have strong bees, this is done more as a precaution against swarming. The danger is that it will get cold again and the bees will get chilled. Each of the hives in the picture that are three boxes high have been supers - two boxes of brood plus one empty honey super on top. Each super has eight empty frames - most are filled with drawn comb, but some are just wax foundation.

According to the class I took and various books I've read, wait until about 80% of that new deep is drawn before adding the super.

My goal for this first year is just to get them to draw out as much comb as they can. If they do really well this summer and if I am lucky, I will stop feeding syrup when the fall flow comes along. I wouldn't count on any honey the first year, as getting the colony up to strength and ready for winter should be the first goal. If that fall flow is really good and I get a super of honey, I'll be thrilled.