Default SHB moved in quick.

New Beekeeper hear in Central Ar. I have two hives started from 5 frame nucs, hives are less then 2 weeks old. Did inspection last Thur, hives looked strong and did not see any small hive bettles but installed bettle jail traps and also have a screen bottom board with a tray for vegetable oil, filled it last week. Checked trays yesterday and noticed about 15 to 20 dead SHB in each tray.

Is there more I should do?
    Does this seem like a high number so fast?
    I have a Neighbor that has hives about a block away, could they be from his hives or did I bring them with me in the nucs?

I was expecting to see SHB hear in Arkansas but it seem like a lot and they moved in faster then I thought they would.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: SHB moved in quick.

SHB can fly along way.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Especially when a hive is new and small, "other insects" can find opportunities that they might not continue to have as the hive builds its strength.

SHB's are prolific flyers. Having the beetle traps and SBB's will help you manage. Just make sure your colonies remain strong.
    Experience isn't always the best way to learn...You usually get the lesson first...And the instruction afterwards...

You are doing exactly what my mentors and I are doing. Keep the traps in and do not give too much free space for the beetles to get rest. It would not be surprising if they were in local nucs or nucs from the south

Are your hives in the sun? I understand that helps.
    I would avoid pollen patties in the hive. The SHBs love them some protein.

I have read of people using salt water or laying plastic/gravel under/around the hives to break the life cycle by killing the larvae when they leave to pupate.

They also sell GardStar, a permethrin drench to put around the hives, but I am a bit hesitant for that and Checkmite strips are used as well.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=18993 has some good info.

Squish em when you see them...it makes me feel good.
    Trying very hard not to kill the bees faster than they can reproduce.

I have two Langs on Countryrubes screened bottom boards. I have ordered one oil tray, a Freeman, planning to swap it back and forth between the two hives. Will that be enough or must I keep the oil trap in place more than one half the time?

I would suggest having one for each hive. I have an avager of 30+ SHB a week in my traps, but I have only had my hives a little over 2 weeks. When I did my inspections I have not seen a SHB inside the hive yet, also have not found any in my Bettle Jail traps yet.

Right before dark I can set there and watch the SHB trying to get in the hives and its seems more the half make it past the guard bees. Dont Know how many come in after dark to hard to seem them, very fast. I was even able to kill a couple as they were trying to get in. Hope most of them are falling pray to the Oil tray under the SBB.