Default odd hive setup...

a few weeks ago, my bees were bearding and i was going to add a second super to my langstroth hive. i had one person suggesting to set the hive up as follows:

bottom board, medium super, Queen excluder, deep brood box, deep brood box, queen excluder, medium super, lid.

has anyone heard of this before? i found it odd... but, i'm a new beek...

Default Re: odd hive setup...

hi you were correct with your original plan. let the other beekeeper screw up his own bees. lol good luck

Never heard of that setup but I'm sure that beekeeping in Tucson is different from keeping 'em in Maine.

I would guess the idea behind the strategy might be to provide some hanging-out space below the brood boxes by using the lower queen excluder. That would give the idle workers space in the cooler part of the hive. Sinve I don't use queen excluders on my hive, I wouldn't bother with the upper one but that's just my preference.

Might be worth a try. Hope hot-weather beekers can help.

Wayne

It will also protect the hive from usurpation by AHB swarms -- the AFB queen will not be able to get into the brood box.

That may or may not work, but in an area known to have AFB, might not be a bad idea.

If the plan is to prevent swarming, I'd think it's a rather poor idea.

Peter

Well, one thing for sure, with this set up all your drones are trapped inside the hive.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Never seen or heard of that down here in the warm lands. But I wont knock it till I have tried it, so I just wont knock it. As stated above you will trap all your drones in the hive and as they die they could become a problem since the bees cant get them out of the hive. Personally I wouldnt reccomend it.

psisk

>Well, one thing for sure, with this set up all your drones are trapped inside the hive.

Exactly. In a very short amount of time both excluders will be totally blocked by dead drones wedged into every gap.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

okay- quick addendum... what if the two brood boxes were off-set by 1/2 inch? (thus providing two entrances between the two excluders)

The only reason I can figure for running the original set up is defense against AHB usurpation, offsetting the hives would negate that defense because if a drone can fit....a queen can fit.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

right... so the only possible benefit to this would be cooling the hive?

I never have done the offset thing due to rain. Instead I prop the cover up a bit if I feel they need some ventalation.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

i was told early on by a very reliable source that rain introduced into the hive via offset boxes has no affect on the bees. All my double brood box hives are offset like this and i recently started propping up the lid as well.... it gets hotter than hades here in AZ....

A lot of hives around the alfalfa fields are in the direct sun in my area and they don't appear to be offset. My hives were in the full sun and I had a few bees near the entrance fanning. Assumed they were trying to move air to cool the hive. I got some shade for them and they stopped fanning.
    I haven't shimmed the top of my hives but I do have screened bottoms now. After this last dust storm/ microburst, I would be afraid to offset my hives for fear of tipping over.

I haven't heard of it and I don't know why you would do it. What is it suppose to accomplish besides trapping all the drones?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I for one, never use queen excluders.

>okay- quick addendum... what if the two brood boxes were off-set by 1/2 inch? (thus providing two entrances between the two excluders)

Then the drones wouldn't get trapped, but then I fail to see the purpose in the first place unless it is to keep the queen in (which always results in the drones being trapped). I don't use excluders at all and see no useful purpose for them unless I'm queen rearing or some other thing that I need to quickly find a queen often in that hive.

>i was told early on by a very reliable source that rain introduced into the hive via offset boxes has no affect on the bees.

I have done it many times and have seen no ill effects from rain. In a pinch I've often used a board for a lid that was slid back to leave a gap facing the sky with no ill effects. The water just runs down the front of the hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks for all the input- it can sometimes be tricky figuring out fact from opinion, especially for us newbies. I think this thread answers my question, along with reassurance that i'm, at the least, not on the wrong track!