Default Queens in Alcohol

Ok, So I've slowly been collecting dead queens in a small jar of alcohol with the hopes of making my own swarm lure. I just got about 10 queen cells that were pinched and removed by a friend from a hive of his. This happened a couple of days ago. My question is, do these cells have any QMP that would be good for my queen jar? The cells were capped so they were getting close to maturity. Any ideas? This might be a good question for Michael Bush.

Thanks
    To find out more about me go to
    www.broomsbylittlejohn.com

Default Re: Queens in Alcohol

a freezer may have been better than alcohol?

Not much if any QMP until AFTER they breed. The alcohol is the carrier solution for the QMP, a dried up queen has little or no attraction and with frost free freezers of today you will have a freeze dried/dehydrated queen body. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Yeah, the freezer is where I keep my small vials/commercial swarm lures. I agree, dead queens don't belong in the freezer. On a side note, one of the cells hatched last night and I have a virgin in a cage with a little honey smeared on the wire mesh. She'll be going in a mating nuc today. I'm glad the cells weren't completely pinched!
    To find out more about me go to
    www.broomsbylittlejohn.com

I agree with Bsweet about the freezer AND about the QMP....but hey, you got a live queen out of it, so that's nice!

>My question is, do these cells have any QMP that would be good for my queen jar? The cells were capped so they were getting close to maturity. Any ideas?

It won't hurt, but probably won't help that much. Laying queens have the most. Virgins have some, but not nearly as much. I would not expect larvae to have much.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF