Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ultra Breeze Chin Protection

I received my Ultra Breeze full suit yesterday. Today I got 5 nucs and set them up in their permenant hives, and all went well. Then split a hive and I did not get a single sting through the suit part and I did not get too hot doing all of that. The only problem I had was i received serveral stings through the vail under my chin. All of the stings were through the veil very close to the zipper of the veil.

I had to continually be sure that the suit was pulled down, and that the sceen of the veil was well away from me neck and chin. Has anyone else experienced this? What am I doing wrong? What is the fix.

I love the suit. I was thinking of putting some tape at the bottom of the screen so the bees cannot sting through it.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Default Re: Ultra Breeze Chin Protection

Are you wearing a cap with a bill? This helps to keep the mesh away from your face and neck. I have the Mann Lake vented suit and have not gotten one sting. The cap was not my idea, I'm just relaying what I was told to do.

Yeah, wear a cap. I have never been stung through my Ultrabreeze, and had some very hot hives this spring. Is your suit very roomy? Mine is probably one size too large, so there is plenty of room when I squat or bend over. A friend of mine got some stings the same way as you, using a differnet suit, when he bent over to pick up a hive. The mesh pulled tight to his chin and they nailed him. The one thing I have notice is I'm starting to get some burn holes in the wrist from lighting the smoker. I assume there are tiny embers coming out of the smoker and landing on the nylon. I will have to watch it and learn how to seal them with something.

Are you zipped tight, and pressing the Velcro tab above veil zipper down securely? Ive never been stung with my Ultrabreeze on. I always wear a hat too.

I think the veil is the weakest link, but for a different reason. The mesh is very flimsy and mine has started to come away from the seams in several places. I fixed it with window screen and a hot glue gun. However, I got a few stings including one to the back of the head that hurt the worst. If the screen was made of wire it would be more durable.

i've found the wire mesh on one of my veils is lousy. They get bent too easily and where it bends it breaks. I prefer the nylon screen and mesh around my neck area. That keeps teh bees away from me. Every now and then i get one that finds its way under the veil mesh. They are persistant buggers.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-14-2012 at 06:04 AM.

i did make sure that the zippers were zipped and the velcro was secured properly. What was happening was when i looked down at the bees, just above the zipper would fold under my chin rather than hanging away from my face. When I remembered to pull the veil away from my face all was well. After about 15 to 20 stings under my chin I started remembering to adjust the veil! lol

The only time I've been stung there I didn't have the jacket zipped all the way up or the velcro wasn't closed or I forgot to zip the veil all the way up. I learned to check...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

15-20 stings under the chin....those weren't all in one day, were they???? Gotta have pictures if they were!!!!

Ed
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-14-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Wear a visor, works like a charm .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Bee Stings.jpg
    Yep, all in one morning! lol I looked rather funny this morning. I did not have a double chin, in it looked like I tried to swallowed a ball! I picked the stingers out for a while, and had to get my dad and a buddy that was helping me get the rest. It has gone down a lot now.

Dog gone, man, you gotta do something about that chin situation. I wore a baseball cap the other day for the first time under my GB jacket. I wasn't to thrilled about it...I'll have to work with it a little to get it adjusted right. So far I haven't had an issue getting stung through the screen, though, and was just trying out using the cap.

Best wishes,
    Ed

ouch
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-14-2012 at 06:03 AM.

I've been stung through the UB veil a couple of times. The way the veil sits, I find my chin actually touching the veil, which results in the sting. I also agree with the comment above that "the veil is the weakest link". My first UB veil failed at the end of year two and when it fails you'll have lots of bees inside the veil - not an enjoyable experience. The screen material breaks where it attaches to the ribs and once it starts, it propagates fast. New UB veils are expensive and should be made to last more than a couple of seasons. I have a Dadant suit that is 10 years old and the veil is in perfect condition. This is my only gripe with the UB suit, but I sure wish they would improve the design.

That is exactly the thing that happened to me. The veil touches my chin, and by the time it touches my chin, it it also touching my neck under my chin. The the girls have a heyday! If the veil would just fall away from my chin that would solve the problem, however with the design of the velcro that doesnt seem possible. I am thinking about putting some tape on the veil in that area to at least create a barrier. Even adding a little more of the 3 layer material to go up the neck would be helpful, or even using Velcro to attach it to the inside of the veil would help.

Other than this one thing, I love the suit. On Friday and Saturday I will be harvesting and there is one HOT hive that wouild love to find that weakness!!!

I did send UB an email with a picture of where the stings were, and a description of the problem. maybe they will come back with a solution.

Oh well, any suggestions will be appreciated.

I did receive a call from Ultra Breeze tonight and we / they are working on a solution. I am Ultra Impressed with the response and will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Just wanted to give yall an update.

Just an update. Ultra Breeze has been wonderful to work with so far. I received some of the suit fabric this morning to prototype a guard to protect my neck and chin. I enlisted the help of my mother this evening to sew the fabric and we put together a guard that should work. It is velcroed to the insie of the hood and I will be testing it out Friday and Saturday. We will be taking honey off of about 15 hives. One of the hives is WAY HOT so it should be interesting to see how the guard works.

I will keep yall posted

I found a pith helmet keeps the veil off my face.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeckett View Post
    Just an update. Ultra Breeze has been wonderful to work with so far.
    If you don't mind, please inform them of the veil failures that some are experiencing. As I mentioned above, the screen is shearing off where is attaches to the support ribs. I communicated this to UB and didn't get much satisfaction. They told me that I could take the old veil to a seamstress and have the screen replaced, but I didn't find that solution very attractive. I believe that the veil portion needs to be rugged enough last nearly the lifetime of the suit - particularly a suit that claims to have such high quality standards. Don't get me wrong, I love the UB suits (I own 2), but the veil is substandard and need to be redesigned.

[ I posted this reply in another thread, but it also applies here... ]

I have an UB jacket and suit. I don't have any issues with the veil on the jacket - probably because it's the right size.

I ordered the next size up on the suit to make sure that it had enough room and wasn't snug.

If there was some sort of stiff collar ring around the bottom of my suit's veil it would hold it's shape and wouldn't collapse in.

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast