Default Hogan trap update with questions

Originally installed one drawn frame and six frames of foundation in my trap two weeks ago. (I had no open brood at the time.) Yesterday I removed seven fully drawn frames that were full of honey and nectar, and, one piece of comb they had drawn from the lid I cut out and tied into an empty frame. I also got about 4 or 5 pounds of bees with them. I replaced those with a frame of brood, and six frames of foundation. I plan to go back and check to see what they are up to in a couple of days. I'm hoping the queen from the tree will start to use the trap for brood, instead of storage.

Question: I now have a queenless, confused box of bees, milling about my apiary. Should I go ahead and give them a new queen or wait a day or two before giving her to them?

Note: For others thinking about doing this kind of trap out, consider how you are going to get your equipment back and forth from the tree/structure the bees call their home. My tree is down a pretty good hill you have to walk to. That 10 pound hive box was pretty easy
    to take down, but loaded with 60 pounds of honey and angry bees was not as much fun to bring back up.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.

Default Re: Hogan trap update with questions

...could give 'em a queen right away prob (with intro. candy)...but I think I'd just as soon give 'em a frame of brood to raise their own

[QUOTE=Beev;79620Note: For others thinking about doing this kind of trap out, consider how you are going to get your equipment back and forth from the tree/structure the bees call their home. My tree is down a pretty good hill you have to walk to. That 10 pound hive box was pretty easy to take down, but loaded with 60 pounds of honey and angry bees was not as much fun to bring back up.[/QUOTE]

One of the most important lessons in swarm trapping. I recently picked up two heavily filled boxes placed where
    I could touch them with my truck tailgate folded down. They both were about a 15' move from the truck to their stand on clear solid ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Beev View Post
    Question: I now have a queenless, confused box of bees, milling about my apiary. Should I go ahead and give them a new queen or wait a day or two before giving her to them?
    What did you decide to do?

Give them a queen and get them up for winter. If you give them unsealed brood and let them make a queen you are looking at 15 July before you get your first workers.

If your box is filled with honey, chances are most of the bees you got are field bees, and don't have very many days left to live. You likely have a few cleaners, fanners, guard bees, etc, but, if you wait 40-45 days for your first emergence of workers, you will have a weak hive by that time. Give them a queen now. You will have workers by 28 June. They will need to work to get ready for winter.

cchoganjr

Gave them a new queen on Mon. Gonna check to see if she is out tomorrow.
    Edit: Checked tonight cause I had to get into the hive next to it. She's out and running around fat and happy.
    Last edited by Beev; 05-18-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.